News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GFS Pickups

Started by raulduke, April 07, 2016, 05:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

I'm setting up a strat with the intention of playing a bit of slide.

I want to put some goldfoils on and noticed GFS's single coil range (which are good value).

Has anyone tried these?

Anyone have an opinion on GFS pickups in general?

Cheers  8)

daleykd

Honestly, my opinion isn't going to matter much as I haven't had a chance to compare pups (ever) and my ear for tone isn't that great (unless I can TRULY A/B them).

I pot some GFS Alnico Fat Pat for a ES-335-esque guitar.  The value is what drew me to them, along with the recommendation from a friend.  I have to say, I like them.  Again, I don't know how to compare them, but I definitely am pleased with what I got.

culturejam

I had one of the P90 gold foils by GFS. As far as I can tell, they aren't trying to emulate the sound of the old Teisco, etc, gold foil pickups of yesteryear. They just look like them. But I did like the tone of the one I tried.

I've owned a few others over the years, and have always been pleased with them. The "Crunchy PAT" is a great pickup if you need a medium output humbucker.

The ones you posted look very cool.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

GFS are actually pretty good for single coils in our experience. Buckers tend to be a bit meh though.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

matmosphere

Can I piggyback here? I was just looking at some of their pickups as well. Anybody have experience with their lipstick pickups. I'm wondering if they sound like lipstick or if they just look like lipsticks.

solderfumes

As far as I can tell, this is the definitive online resource on GFS Gold Foils: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=85754&start=195

I've never tried the single coils but I have three of the humbucker-sized ferrite single coils in a Franken-Epiphone (Frankenphone?), and I looooooove them.  They differ fundamentally from the Strat-sized ones, though.  As far as I know the Strat ones are basically constructed like regular Strat pickups but voiced differently: more like a mini-humbucker, they say.  The humbucker-sized ones I have are constructed more in the spirit of the originals, with the magnets positioned beside the coil, rather than under, around, or in the middle.