News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

O-Scope purchasing question

Started by Aristatertotle, April 08, 2016, 07:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristatertotle

So I saw this oscilloscope on Craigslist and I have no experience with o-scopes. Been thinking about getting one because I'm thinking about making some synth stuff, and I've been making more BBD based stuff recently. It's a Tektronix 465b asking $175. From what i can tell with Google searches, it seems like it would do just fine. Anyone have any experience with this scope?

https://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/5443130497.html

john_p_wi

Well, it shows a trace and has a probe that is a start.  $175 for a 40 year old scope?  Seems a little stiff, new Chinese digital scopes can be had for another 100 bucks.  We have the same scope in the lab, it is never used, the newer 3000 and 4000 Tek DSOs get all of the work.

All of that  being said, probably would be a decent scope for the application, new cheap (not Tek) probes can be had from Amazon or the bay for less than 20 bucks a pair.

I personally use a Tek scope from the 90's, a 2230.  It performs well and as expected for audio / analog purposes and can be had for a similar price and is 20 years newer...

EBRAddict

You can get a new Siglent digital scope for $275 from Amazon that will do everything you need. They are much smaller and lighter than an analog scope.

I picked up an analog Tektronix 2235 for $130, I wouldn't have paid any more. When I get my work area reorganized hopefully it will have a dedicated space. I think it has much better documentation than a Chinese cheap scope and the waveform changes are displayed without latency.

Aristatertotle

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping I could talk the dude down a good amount since it is so old. I might look around a bit more on eBay. Maybe see if I can't find a used digital scope for a good price.

chordball

If you can talk him down then go for it! I'd rather have one of these than a new lower cost digital scope.

stecykmi

i have a Tektronix 466 that still works great, which is similar to the one you posted. Tek's are really great scopes. you probably want something that's in good working condition which isn't a guarantee for something that old, however tektronics from that era are very fixable (excluding any specialized parts, those you usually have to cannibalize from broken ones).