News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Yellow PNP question

Started by playpunk, April 09, 2016, 02:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

I'm determined to etch boards. No good reason for it, but I just want to.

In that pursuit I bought some cheap China PNP paper. The yellow stuff. I have tried to apply it and have failed.

My first try the toner was on the yellow side, which is dull and cloth like. I got an ok at best transfer. So I went back to the drawing board and printed the image on the shiny side. After ironing that image is permanently melted to the copper.

So which side is it? Is there any special trick to this paper?

How long do I need to iron the boards for? Should I just buy a laminator? Or learn eagle or dip trace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

galaxiex

I have that yellow paper and it now works quite well for me.
I print on the shiny side, pretty sure that is the side to use.
It took me quite a few trial and error runs to get good results.
The variables are of course, the heat, pressure, and time.
I also found pre-heating the board helps.

There is a learning curve to be sure.

I messed up at least a dozen times before I got a good transfer that I felt comfortable etching.

At least you can clean off the failed transfer and try again.
Not like you have to cut a whole new board.

There are many tutorials on line, tho I am loath to point to one.
I kinda watched a bunch and then muddled my way through my own method.

No doubt others (more experienced than me) will chime in with more helpful hints.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

playpunk

I tried again and I just can't get a good transfer with this stuff. I'm going to try my standard hp presentation paper again....

gül

FWIW, I couldn't get a decent transfer with that yellow stuff either. I've been using Polaroid Premium Photo Paper with a $20 Scotch laminator and so far, that's been the most fool-proof method for me. I haven't etched enclosures yet, but for boards it's working well.

playpunk

I have used hp photo paper for enclosures but thought the PNP paper might make the pcb process easier

blearyeyes

Quote from: aishabag on April 10, 2016, 04:12:13 PM
FWIW, I couldn't get a decent transfer with that yellow stuff either. I've been using Polaroid Premium Photo Paper with a $20 Scotch laminator and so far, that's been the most fool-proof method for me. I haven't etched enclosures yet, but for boards it's working well.

Which Model Scotch Laminator did you buy?