News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Compressor for slap bass

Started by LaceSensor, April 14, 2016, 09:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi

Anyone can recommend me a bass compressor project, one that gives some classic slap bass tones.
Its not for me and I dont play bass, so I cant really test it either, so need a solid vouch

cheers

Ian

jimilee

Now, when you say slap bass tones, can you give an example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

no

I dont play bass
Its just what my friend who is starting out thinks he needs / wants

lets go back a step

anyone recomend a bass compressor? ?!

jimilee

My favorite is the EHX soul preacher. I've built a ton and this one is a mainstay on my board. I like the knee switch on it, I'm not sure how the bearhug would compare, Jon may be able to chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Martan

Seems like I hear more about limiters for slap than compressors

midwayfair

Ask the person you're building it for if they're trying to get the really bouncy/warmer/syrupy slap sound where the transient dips and it comes back up super quickly, or if they want to keep all the transients and just have the lower strings sustain longer. If it's the first, I'd probably go for a modded OS or something with the decay reduced to 100mS or less if you can get away with it (either reduce the 4.7uF cap in the rectifier section or replace the 150K with a 250K pot+10K resistor). For the later, Brian's 1590G compressor project is optical with a clean blend and would probably be perfect dialed in around 70%.

The reason the OS is my choice for the first sound is that it can reduce below unity, especially with a strong enough signal, and it's the closest thing in the DIY world to an 1176, which is extremely likely to have been used on any bass making that sound on a 70s/80s record.

I'm sure some other bassists will be along to contradict this :)

jposega

http://www.ovnilab.com

More compressor reviews than you can shake a stick at.

LaceSensor

raulduke

The nicest compressor I've ever played is a Diamond Compressor that I repaired.

Sounded just as great on guitar and bass.

It is, however, a subtle 'always on' type of comp (it's an optical circuit with a ratio of around 3:1), as opposed to a 'spanky' compressor that might be more useful for slap bass.

I'd think of it more as a 'pedalised LA2A' than 'pedalised 1176'.