Should have startd here: Fulltone is f'ing rude/Want a first project

Started by Ernesto, April 13, 2016, 05:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernesto

OK. I am new to the world of pedals. Got a used GT500, in my old house it is completely unusable. I'd like to start making my own and I'd like help on two things:

1) Other than using a battery, how can I use my Fulltone? Should I just dump it? What makes a power source 'dirty'?
2) What's a good first project for someone with elementary soldering skills? I'd like something I could build with my 15 year old son.

Thanks!

midwayfair

What are you powering the Fulltone with?

If you run an extension chord for the power supply to another outlet that's not on the same breaker as your amp, does the problem go away?

As far as beginner projects: Smallbear has a series of breadboarding tutorials for simple projects and breadboarding is also a skill that's very much worth learning. Tonefiend and DIYstompboxes have well-documented beginner projects for building on perfboard. Any of Madbean's boards marked "Noob" are good beginner projects, and the simpler BYOC kits are basically all beginner-appropriate.

Ernesto

I am using the 9 volt adapter from another device. The outlets in my house are not grounded (no third prong), so the amps are plugged into a three prong adapter that is screwed onto the outlet plate. I will try using different outlets. I think that my kitchen has three-prong outlets. I can play and cook at the same time, maybe.