News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anybody else in a slump right now?

Started by Leevibe, April 15, 2016, 04:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

I can totally relate!  I actually feel like I'm finally coming out of a very long slump.  Yes, I've been building over that time but things have been moving so slow due to my hectic schedule.  On top of that, I've reverted a bit and made a bunch of noobish mistakes!  My wife went back to work this past year which has made my time EXTREMELY limited since she works weekends now most of the time.  I think the mistakes are mostly because I've been rushing things.  I finally buttoned up a bunch of builds though so you guys should see a handful build reports coming soon.

pryde

Not building much in pedals besides finishing a batch of my "Nineteen59/Boneyard" project a few weeks ago. Pretty busy with amp and guitar repairs currently and am working on a whole other business startup plan as well.

alanp

Just waiting on some tempco resistors for a Living VCO set. Other than that, buggered for money.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

blearyeyes

Total Slump...

Been playing as much as I can physical therapy for my left hand. Easy to get discouraged. Really want to build but my bench got moved by my son and he put everything that was placed in strategic piles (where I could find anything I needed) into organized boxes (where I can't find squat) So it's been at least 3 months.

Gotta push through!

juansolo

I'm in a slump whereby nothing is piquing my interest that I want to build, and there hasn't been much for a while. Also I've not really had many requests for stuff so things have slowed right down (to the point we're in the red again on the pedal fund, which is a PITA). That said I'll finish a multi tomorrow that's been quite enjoyable that'll get posted up and I've got 3 other comissioned builds that I could do with getting out the door that I'm actually looking forward to.

Would be nice if someone bought some of our pedals though. The little pedal line I've done has resulted in exactly zero sales ;) Which should really get my arse into gear about getting some demos recorded for them :P

Mainly though I've been distracted by building a massive video game collection and the consoles that go along with it. That and making them work on my TV... The N64 has been a total PITA. I've just dropped an RGB board into that and it's made a hell of an improvement, but it's still getting dot crawl. Putting a sync fixer in there hasn't cured it. So I need to research how to get sync on luma out of an N64 RGB SCART cable...

Then I can buy a PS2...

I also quite fancy a PC Engine...

When will it end?!  ;D

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Dminner

With our other guitar player having a baby recently we haven't played in nearly 7months and in that time I have focused more on building pedals than playing. I haven't bought a guitar in years but I bought a beautiful one last week. Come to find all of this time off has made me a pretty terrible player  :-\   Crazy how rusty I have got. Bummed me out a bit.

davent

No pedals in over a year. The HoSo 56 amp i've been showing has stopped until i place an order but i've picked up on a little stereo amp for the workshop as i think i've all the bits to finish it. That one i started throw bits in a box for in 2005. Maybe if i finish the two amps will get to some of the pedal pcb's, but then i've got transformers/tubes for two more guitar amps. Been investing major time in cooking/eating and the weather says it's time to start gardening so who knows when any electronics will get finished. And it is nice to just spend playing with the boxed up toys after all that is what they were made for.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jtaormina

Quote from: daleykd on April 16, 2016, 06:00:04 AM
I've felt this way for about a week.  I have about 17 builds I need to box up, and I hate (repeat HATE) etching and making enclosures (especially if there's offboard wiring involved).  Part of me wonders if it means that I'm so addicted, I'm going through some type of withdrawal of not constantly having things accomplished.

I'm trying to get over the hump by forcing myself to etch.

Sometimes, I have so much I want to do, that it's overwhelming, and I start to shut down.

Preach it brother. I get like this too. I'm no good at making enclosures look good. But I love building the circuits. Takes a long time to paint and sand etc. I'm sitting on so many boards that need boxing or I haven't even started yet. I'm always looking for parts it seems.

BrianS

It's good to hear (and I don't mean this in a negative way) that there are a slew of people that are being affected by this phenomenon, as I am too. I finally got a Rustbucket put together last night and I just don't have the drive to adjust the trimmers. It has taken over a month and a half just to get it to this stage.  I have 4 pedals that I can't get to work and I hate trouble shooting them because I absolutely suck at it. Perhaps it's the time of the year or something is in the air but getting in the build zone just isn't happening.

muddyfox

phew! glad I'm not the only one!
no pedals in a year now, not much playing either! Life's just been too much and I can't seem to catch a breath to do anything, pedulz included.
still lurking here though, things will turn around eventually... [emoji1]

EBRAddict

Like you said, amazingly good weather means the outdoor calls.

Also playing more with digital in REAKTOR and finally got my FV-1 dev board loaded into a Beavis-board type rig so I can use it.

Mojo Fandangle

Yeah, I've been slumping a bit.
Just finished a Slow Loris Rat over 2 months with no other builds since january.

I'm tiring a bit of building pedals for friends.
I've never charged over $100 for a pedal but it's just not worth making them at that price when you consider Aus dollar conversions, mailing costs, building hours, and lazy friends who won't even come and pick up their pedal so you have to deliver it to them. I'm actually losing money on my sales.

Now I tell them yeah I'll build one, it'll be $120 to $150, and they're not interested, so hopefully I'll get some time to build myself some stuff again.
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

snz728

yeah working too much OT saps my energy to build.  I have a triplewreck and a fuzz half done probably covered in dust.  I need to get them finished but no time.  Looking for something new and fun to obsess over.

juansolo

Quote from: Mojo Fandangle on April 17, 2016, 10:17:25 PM

Yeah, I've been slumping a bit.
Just finished a Slow Loris Rat over 2 months with no other builds since january.

I'm tiring a bit of building pedals for friends.
I've never charged over $100 for a pedal but it's just not worth making them at that price when you consider Aus dollar conversions, mailing costs, building hours, and lazy friends who won't even come and pick up their pedal so you have to deliver it to them. I'm actually losing money on my sales.

Now I tell them yeah I'll build one, it'll be $120 to $150, and they're not interested, so hopefully I'll get some time to build myself some stuff again.

I've finally got my prices to something like a sensible amount and it's meant that sales of my pedals have dwindled to a very slow trickle. On the one side that suits me as I'm not turning out shitloads of stuff and I feel that what I am selling I'm actually making a reasonable return on. On the downside the pedal fund is taking a kicking due to lack of income. But I'm getting to the stage that I just wont give them away any more.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Willybomb

I've got a lot of veros I've built, tested, and left sitting.  I have some I need to return to and troubleshoot.  Funds are a bit low for the boxing and finishing and as usual I want to build multis.

On an upside, I finally got an English Gent on vero working.  Still have to get a PCB of it working, on my 3rd go of that...

I have smaller things to get onto, like a blend circuit, and a EM Sparkle drive that needs work.