News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD (x2!) - not jimi :)

Started by chromesphere, April 17, 2016, 05:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

I usually don't go quite this nuts with guitars, in fact I haven't spent jack squat for many years but these were both a very good price (for Australian standards anyway).  I've wanted a les paul since I started playing but could never pull the trigger, or something ELSE would come up.  I saw these 2 on sale this weekend, the min-etune brown LP was 65% off, and the les paul studio pro (orange) was 60% off (rrp of course).  Long story but that red future went back to the shop and I swapped it for the orange LP studio pro which was a smart move. 

I'm so totally out of the loop with guitars and gear in general I had (and still somewhat have) no idea if these are good guitars, I had some time to play them and they both play really nice, need some setting up though. The shop was crazy, people grabbing stuff left right and centre, it was a matter of pick it up, play it for 10 seconds and pay. Very rushed but I think I did pretty well!?

So there you go.  From zero LP's, to 2.  I woke up Sunday morning thinking it was all a dream to be honest.. Anyway, Happy bday to me :D 

Now I need to sell off some gear to pay for it... this is a slippery slope isn't it....
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

BrianS

Those are nice looking guitars Paul. I have a Studio (I think I bought it 5 or 6 yrs ago) and it's a nice guitar. For sure needed a setup but it does what I need it to do.  These sales just drive me crazy also.  I have been wanting a Traditional or a Standard for quite a while and Musicians Friend had a Traditional Pro III on sale last month for $800 off and I bit. I'm not in love with the color of it (wine red) but you know "sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you." It's a great guitar but heavy as hell. Enjoy banging those axes buddy.

Jules

culturejam

Congrats! That orange one looks killer!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

nzCdog

I hope this condition isn't contagious... ;)
Congrats, 2 fine looking instruments there Paul

pryde

Really like that orange studio pro a lot. Congrats from a huge LP fan.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

jimilee

Daaaaammmmnnn I want one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

raulduke

Can't beat a Les Paul... or two even  8)

I love mine (mid 90's Wine Red Studio). It was my first 'proper' guitar.

I also have an SG in that satin brown finish. Plays like a dream and was great value.

287m

finally, Paul get Les Paul
Nice!

flanagan0718

Congrats Paul. I love me a LP studio. They are wonderful guitars. My Dad has a black studio from 96 that I keep trying to steal from him. The Faded LP are IMHO almost just as good. They need a little more work at first (set up, fret level / filing) but in the end they are the same guitar just not nitro finished. Congrats again man and Happy Birthday!!

-Mike-

Hangingmonkey

Nice one.  I bought a new LP last month, reminds me, I need to post up a NGD sometime.
I like the decal on the 12th fret

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Edit, I mean inlay, not decal!

chromesphere

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on April 18, 2016, 11:33:41 AM
Edit, I mean inlay, not decal!

it says 120th Anniversary edition, which would date both guitars 2014 I believe, hence the massive discount I guess.  Still I got them cheaper then 2nd hand prices and there is not a speck on either of them, no dints / scratches, frets needed a polish but that's about it.

The LP studio pro is awesome, fast neck, really hot, energised pickups.  The LPM min-etune sounds a little more straight forward and I guess clearer in some respects.  Not necessarily in a good way, just different.  I haven't given the LPM a proper audition though so I dont want to make too much of a judgement on it yet.  Overall its a fantastic guitar, as Flanagan said a bit of extra work and its going to play beautifully.  It already does really...

I found the specs on both if your interested, they both came with no literature. (lol at the marketing images):
2014 min-etune LPM: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/LPM.aspx
2014 Studio Pro: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-StudioPro.aspx
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

gordo

I've never been a Studio fan but that's a really pretty guitar with the maple and cool looking sunburst.  The few studios I've played would not stay in tune for any length of time so I think I've unfairly judged the whole lot.

The faded reminds me of the walnut The Paul's from the 70's.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?