News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Connecting multiple boards/fx in one enclosure

Started by intrentnet7, April 15, 2016, 05:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intrentnet7

Somewhat of noob here. A few tech questions.

1- I'm wanting to put 2-3 fx (Boost, OD, env. Filter) in one enclosure. They all run on 9v (one is a naughty fish) I'm just wondering how I can power them all using one power input. Should I use a road rage? Can I just wire them all to the same 9v input? What if I want to run one effect at 18v and the other 2 at 9v?

2-wiring inputs to outputs. Can I just run the wires from one board to the other? I.e. Tip out to tip in, sleeve out to sleeve in?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

BrianS

Here is a link to a combo building guide on Guitar PCB. You might have to join the forum to look at it, I'm not sure.

http://www.guitarpcb.com/PDF%20Files/Combo%20Build%20Wiring%20Tutorial.pdf

intrentnet7

Ok. So I've read through it but it doesn't exactly answer my questions. They used some 3pdt boards to daisy chain the effects together is that right? There was a spot for a resistor on those particular boards. Can someone better explain these 3pdt boards?. It appears the boards just simply make the switch easier to wire. Is the resistor for a LED?

It looked like the power sources were all wired to a single 9v input. But what if I want to power my boost at 18v but the other two at 9v? Would I then need a road rage?

jimilee

Any sort of charge pump will work, including the road rage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

intrentnet7

Quote from: jimilee on April 17, 2016, 04:19:13 AM
Any sort of charge pump will work, including the road rage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect. Thanks!

BrianS

Yes the resistor is for the LED. If you use the 3pdt board and wire the LED to it no resistor or led on the effect board is required (sometimes referred to in build doc as CLR) (sorry for the info if you knew this already). Sorry the guide didn't help much. I haven't built a multi pedal yet so that was the only reference I've seen. I believe you are on the right track as far as how you would wire it up regardless if you use a switch board or just follow a normal 3pdt off board wiring diagram.  The 3pdt boards can make wiring easier but one plus is most of them have multiple grounds and sometimes more than one 9v + terminal. I normally don't use them to much but others use them on every build. Entirely up to you.

intrentnet7

Quote from: BrianS on April 17, 2016, 06:39:01 PM
Yes the resistor is for the LED. If you use the 3pdt board and wire the LED to it no resistor or led on the effect board is required (sometimes referred to in build doc as CLR) (sorry for the info if you knew this already). Sorry the guide didn't help much. I haven't built a multi pedal yet so that was the only reference I've seen. I believe you are on the right track as far as how you would wire it up regardless if you use a switch board or just follow a normal 3pdt off board wiring diagram.  The 3pdt boards can make wiring easier but one plus is most of them have multiple grounds and sometimes more than one 9v + terminal. I normally don't use them to much but others use them on every build. Entirely up to you.

Every little bit of information is helping me piece this puzzle together. Thanks for the info guys!