News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Interesting troubleshooting session

Started by stringsthings, April 23, 2016, 04:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

Here's an interesting troubleshooting find that may help someone in the future:

I finished populating the PCB for the Sunking 2 ( I've had the board for a very long time ).  Hooked up the PCB
to my testing rig.  The testing rig is made up of two breadboards, and a breakout box so I can breadboard ideas
and use a guitar and amp easily.  The voltages of the Sunking 2 PCB all looked fine, so I hooked up the input and
output to the breadboard.  The sound was o.k. but not quite right.  There was a loss of treble and with the gain all
the way down there was still a gritty, unpleasing sound. 

So I went thru my usual troubleshooting routine and checked all the solder joints, parts values, re-checked voltages, etc ...
And then I found the problem:  Last week, I was breadboarding a silicon tonebender circuit and I had left most of the parts
still on the breadboard including the input from the testing rig.  So the input to the Sunking circuit was inadvertently connected
to the input of the what was left of the tonebender circuit !   :P     This was loading down the signal from the guitar and feeding
the Sunking a dull splatty signal. 

So from now on, I'm cleaning up my breadboard before testing a new build.

And the happy ending to the story is that I really like the Sunking 2 !   I've never made a Klon clone and I think it sounds excellent.
I'll have to pick up a couple of Kingslayer boards in the near future.
All You Need Is Love