News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyboy27

Quote from: midwayfair on April 19, 2018, 08:15:09 PM
Also, they had a gold Zelda cartridge, which I've never seen in person.

I have one of those from a yard sale purchase a while back. Fully working NES with a bunch of games, most importantly that gold Zelda.

I love when people don't know what they're clearing out of their basement.

thesmokingman

I remember when the gold cart came home ... first time I was able to save a game ... literal game changer because up to that point, you either had to be good and fast and able to finish up a game quickly or have the time to play it to the end (if the game had one)

re: arcade games on the pi ... I've really got to narrow mine down. I think my final burn alpha rom set is something like 29 gigs and a large number of multiple versions/revisions of a single title. makes the menu extremely hard to navigate.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

matmosphere

Juan, I've got at least two (maybe three and possibly four) NES's laying around that should all work. If you have any interest in owning one o doin' a trade drop me a line.

juansolo

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 20, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
Juan, I've got at least two (maybe three and possibly four) NES's laying around that should all work. If you have any interest in owning one o doin' a trade drop me a line.

If you're in the UK I might give that a try. At the moment I'm cheating as the N64 with an Everdrive can play NES titles. But unlike the Megadrive with the Master System stuff, it's emulated so not quite right.

Quote from: thesmokingman on April 20, 2018, 12:34:12 PMre: arcade games on the pi ... I've really got to narrow mine down. I think my final burn alpha rom set is something like 29 gigs and a large number of multiple versions/revisions of a single title. makes the menu extremely hard to navigate.

Ah this is a problem of the modern age, too much choice/too many options (300 channels and there's nothing on... When back in the day, we had 3). Same goes for if you run some of the flash carts or what have you. I've found that resisting the temptation to put EVERYTHING onto a cart/emulator is the key. Or at least if you do put everything on there, put a directory on it also with your selection of say your top 50 games maximum. I never go into the 'complete' folders on my machine unless I learn of some hidden gem and want to try it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40990/Mafia/

MAFIA IS ON STEAM.

Sorry for the angrycaps, but this is one of the BEST storytelling games I've played. Ever. Hands down. This game sucks you in and doesn't let go until Don Salieri says you may leave.

And it works in windows 10!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

trailer

Playing loads of Far Cry 5. My PS4 handle is TRAILERxCORE. Let me come blow up your cultists!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: juansolo on May 02, 2018, 10:27:36 AM
Happy birthday to me :)

Nice, are the holes aligned so you can tate the screen if you want or will it take a bit of modding? Looks like some fun for my desk at work. lol

juansolo

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 02, 2018, 03:18:16 PM
Quote from: juansolo on May 02, 2018, 10:27:36 AM
Happy birthday to me :)

Nice, are the holes aligned so you can tate the screen if you want or will it take a bit of modding? Looks like some fun for my desk at work. lol

The holes are for screen tiltage, but the whole kit is designed with modding in mind. So lighting the marquee, running from battery, bigger screens etc. I'm running from a Raspberry Pi but there are mounting points for a Mini ITX in there if you want to go mad. There are all the templates for the marqee, controller board and screen surround if you want to customise it to look like your favourite arcade machine. It's a really fun and well designed kit.

For me the 8" screen and Pi combo is right. The screen proportionally looks right and the super low-res stuff you're running on it (it's 800x600 4:3) also looks surprisingly good without having to resort to filters. It's a doddle to put together and is easily done in about 3 hours or so being careful. No soldering required. I highly recommend it.

I don't even think it's bad value. It's £180, just add Pi and PSU, so all up about £215 or so. https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/picade

Loads of videos online for them.

stringsthings

Quote from: trailer on May 02, 2018, 11:43:37 AM
Playing loads of Far Cry 5. My PS4 handle is TRAILERxCORE. Let me come blow up your cultists!

waiting for the price to drop like I always do.  I guess I should play FC4.
All You Need Is Love

trailer

Quote from: stringsthings on May 03, 2018, 10:30:52 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 02, 2018, 11:43:37 AM

waiting for the price to drop like I always do.  I guess I should play FC4.

Never played FC4 but I have read good things about both 3 and 4. 5 suffers from repetitive side missions like most open world games these days, however I haven't been bored at all with it. I do wish there were more weapons, clothes/skins, and customization options.

chromesphere

Not really worth a thread of its own so dumping here.  In a bid to get james more active (he loves nerf gun fights around the house, we run around for hours shooting each other), i bought a new nerf gun and had a go at painting it.  Turned out steampunkesque.  Looks pretty cool in the flesh.  Hoping that the primer and lacquer hold up to the abuse :D
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

juansolo

alanp

My first computer was a C64 breadbin. I played so, so, so many games on that thing.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Oh, and it was also where I cut my teeth on BASIC. (I later spent a lot of time with Turbo Pascal 7. Not so much for more than a decade.)

I also encountered tape a very long time in my computing career. Years of disc drives (anyone remember cutting 5.25" floppy discs by hand for double sided operation?), and then a teacher at school gave me a bag full of tapes with games.

"Wow... these.. are.. slow. Dude, do you have a copy on disc?"
- Terry Pratchett
My website