News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

It's a J-RPG thing. as a long time player of them, I can't say I noticed it. That said, Undertale just didn't gel with me at all either. I was really struggling to see why it was so well regarded...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

matmosphere

That clicking text thing makes me think of the first Zelda game. I think a lot of those old NES rpg's do that as well.

Reminds me that I've been wanting to revisit the first Dragon Warrior(quest for the rest of the world) game for years now.

Those early console RPGs were some of my favorite games ever despite how clunky they could be. Any one have suggestions for other games in that style that are worthwhile?

juansolo

I have no idea how it differs on the PC (I played it on Dreamcast), but Grandia II is my all time favourite. I just love the combat mechanic and the plot just made me chuckle. Millenia may be the greatest J-RPG character ever. The protagonist is a bit of a dick, which amuses me also.

It's a game where it's possible to avoid combat, however I enjoyed it so much I fought everything, by the end of the game I was pretty much a god I was so over levelled. Still didn't detract from it however.

matmosphere

I spend close to zero hours a week playing video games these day, and I think I need to change that a little.

I have been looking into steam a little bit and have a few questions I figure you guys will have the answers to.

-if I buy a game that is supported on windows, Mac OS, and Linux can I only download one version, or if I had two computers (say Mac and linux) could I download it onto both?

-anybody try steam with Raspberry pi? I was reading a little about steam link but I don't understand how it works with Raspberry Pi. Do I need a separate, more powerful, computer to stream the games from and the Raspberry Pi is essentially just a hookup for the TV? or do the games just run on Raspberry Pi?

-Lastly, and perhaps most important, Game Recommendations? (I lean more towards retro stuff, not so into 3rd person shooter stuff. Like a good story driven RPG, side scrollers, puzzles)

alanp

Polybius by Llamasoft is trippy, absorbing, and a ton of fun. It's a 3D version of Galaga, kind of.

Epilepsy warning, though.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 17, 2020, 07:27:17 AM
-if I buy a game that is supported on windows, Mac OS, and Linux can I only download one version, or if I had two computers (say Mac and linux) could I download it onto both?

-Lastly, and perhaps most important, Game Recommendations? (I lean more towards retro stuff, not so into 3rd person shooter stuff. Like a good story driven RPG, side scrollers, puzzles)

Yes.

You might like GoG better than Steam based on what you like to play.

I can highly recommend the Spidersoft series (Avernum and Avadon) and Driftmoon for old-fashioned story-driven RPGs. The two Neverwinter Nights expansions (skip the base game -- the story sucks and you don't need it to play the expansions). Also Ultima Underworld I & II if you didn't play them a long time ago (Ultima 6 & 7 are also great story-wise but I just can't get past the interface now).

Oh, and Pony Island for puzzles.

Willybomb

Hard to go past Fallout 1 and 2 for RPGs.  Wasteland 2 was okish.

selfdestroyer

Ugh, back on Destiny 2.. The loop of Destiny just feels good.

Also started the new Walking Dead Sinners & Saints VR game on my Rift last night. Really impressed by the graphics and melee weapons.

Lubdar

I am finally playing through Bloodborne.  I am loving it, and FINALLY am able to parry. Having gone through the first 2 dark souls behind a shield, it is refreshing. When I get around to Dark Souls 3, we will see if I can not use my shield as much.

Not to mention all of the cosmic horror makes me want to dive deep into some other Lovecraftian games.

I think the whole trick weapon or left-hand and right-hand arsenal really speaks to me. I'm always into the idea of that second stompswitch to change the character of the pedal...

I digress...
(--c^.^)--c

alanp

Very nice runthrough of Doom2016 easter eggs. Also, surprisingly light and low on spoilers.

Anyone else remember how FPS games were called "Doomclones", all the way until Half Life came out?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

juansolo

Just finished The Outer Worlds. Kinda like a cross between Fallout 3 and Borderlands. Not the bug-fest of a Bethesda game though, and certainly better on the RPG side of things than they have been for a long, long time. It was pretty good, the right length, all good.

Currently playing through Wreckfest, which is the spiritual successor to the Destruction Derby games on the Playstation. It's bloody brilliant in every way. Easily my favourite racing game for a very long time.

somnif

Currently playing "Graveyard Keeper"

It's in the same vein as Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon, but, with cannibalism and zombies.

It's a wee bit grindy and obtuse, not as well polished as the farm games. Lots of "Craft 10 of X to make 5 of Y to make 2 of Z to make one of Thingy" to keep track of. I'm enjoying it so far, but I can already tell it won't be the time sink Stardew was.

Willybomb

Quotewhich is the spiritual successor to the Destruction Derby games on the Playstation
I enjoyed DD1 far more than DD2.  If you like that sort of thing, check out the Flatout series.

alanp

Just started playing "Okami HD" on Steam. On the basis of one hour's play so far, it seems quite fun. The garble-garble-garble-garble while text boxes are scrolling is annoying, but more tune-out-able than Undertale was.
- Terry Pratchett
My website