News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Total Recall....just noise on ic7 pin 3/4

Started by Orbis_Ignis, April 23, 2016, 06:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orbis_Ignis

Ok, I got my Total Recall put together. I can Bias IC6 with either of my MN3005s. But when I try to Bias IC7 as I turn the trimmer there is nothing, then noise, then nothing again. All my voltages check out except for pin5/6/7 of IC4 which are on the high side at -12volts. Now this may be because of where the gain1 trimmer was set at the time of checking the voltages (so that may have changed. Not sure). I do get clean delay signal on pin7 of ic7. Anybody have any ideas?

The real kicker is I just left for vacation and won't be able to play with for a week or so. But I can't quit thinking about it ::)

Edit: dang it. Wrong board

Orbis_Ignis

Alright. Back from vacation and back in the saddle a little bit today. It seems like a grounding issue maybe. I can get it to where I can hear some of the delay signal on IC7 when biasing it. Still has quite a bit of noise but it is only on IC7 that I hear it. IC6 is pretty clear. All my voltages look good, but I do not have it in an enclosure. I have it wired the normal way (not true bypass). Anybody have any ideas?

Orbis_Ignis

Ok got rid of some of the noise by better grounding. But still when biasing IC7 when I'm turning the trimmer, right when you think you'll hear some repeats, I hear about one and then it gets really distorted.

Orbis_Ignis

Almost ready to give up on this one  :'(

I get clean signal trough the effect with it on or off (IC6 biased). If I try to bias IC7, there is noise through the whole circuit. It's like I can hear the first little bit of guitar signal then pulsing noise the get louder with each pulse (on pin 3 & 4 of IC7). Would a bad NE570 cause this? Would the CD4047 cause this on one BBD but not the other?

Now, I have swapped spots for the BBDs and both with the same outcome(can bias the first but all noise on the second). I've switched out all my ICs, but I only have 2 NE570's. It's almost like there is too much gain on the repeats of IC7 but they never stop (it's also the same whether I have a guitar signal going through it or nothing going through it). All my voltages look almost exactly like the build doc. Of course some change when adjusting the trimmers, but I can get all my voltages to look like the build doc.

I will say that when adjusting gain1 I don't hear much of a difference and the volume on IC4 pin7 is lower than IC6 pin3&4 no matter what the setting is. I have changed the gain1 trimmer thinking it might be bad, since I don't hear any difference, but it's still the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

archaos

Hmmm, not sure I could be of any help here, still which kind of power supply do you use with it ?

I just ask because I encountered some issues when using 12VDC from my PP2+'s with my Current Lovers. As a matter of fact, using 9VDC from the PS was fine, but when I pushed the dip switches for getting 12VDC, the pedals started to emit a kind of loud "ground noise" (either outputs 1 through 6). Moreover, it was noisy either with a guitar plugged it or not, no differences.
Therefore I tried to power up the pedals @12VDC with a PP Iso 5, then a Power Plant and I got completely rid of that very boring noise.
Soooooooo, I thought that your problem could eventually be the same if you used those outputs with a voltage doubler cable for instance.
Mehr Licht !

Martan

Do you have clear signal on pin 7 of IC7? Your jumper from XS to XR looks alright? Can you audio probe from IC6 to IC7?

joesatch

Orbis_Ignis

I'm using the suggested power supply from EHX. I get clear signal on pin 7 of IC7. I get clear signal on IC4 pin 6 and 7. It's just when I try to adjust the bias for IC7. It's clear then as I turn it I get a hint of signal then noise. And as I keep turning it then goes back to clear. My jumper from xs to rx looks good. I get signal on both sides of it and reflowed the solder. Maybe I'll redo the jumper just to see

Martan

Can't say for sure but almost sounds like your trimmer is bad. I wouldn't do anything until someone else chimes in. Does turning it change any ic voltages?

Orbis_Ignis

Well, it changes the voltage but it doesn't really change the volume. Could just be my bad hearing, lol

Orbis_Ignis

Here is a pic of the board. It's not pretty since I've done some solder removal than resoldering. Lost some pads :'(

Orbis_Ignis

It somehow has to do with the feedback. If I turn the feedback all the way down I can bias IC7. But if I turn it up a little all hell breaks loose.

Edit: I'm getting a huge amount of volume coming out of pin1 of IC4. I mean it is super loud. I don't think it's supposed to be like that. I've got the gain2 trimmer all the down and it's still super loud. I was checking the components around there and the all seem right. Any suggestions?

Orbis_Ignis

I think I found my problem. I put in a 680 ohm resistor instead of a 680K ohm resistor  :o 

Now I just have to change it out and see what happens....can't believe I did that  :-[

Jebus

Quote from: Orbis_Ignis on May 07, 2016, 02:41:29 AM
I think I found my problem. I put in a 680 ohm resistor instead of a 680K ohm resistor  :o 

Now I just have to change it out and see what happens....can't believe I did that  :-[

Sounds like that probably would cause some problems. :P A good solder sucker and some solder wick are really good investments.

Orbis_Ignis

BTW, That was for R19. Can't wait the change it.