Main Menu

Best compressor for sustain

Started by Guybrush, April 24, 2016, 01:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soup39

I believe trey uses 2 tube screamers

galaxiex

Quote from: Guybrush on April 25, 2016, 12:17:22 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm starting to think maybe I'm doing something 'wrong' with my Keely clone.

I'll keep fiddling with it and definitely look into building another comp based on the suggestions.

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The first compressor I had was a Boss CS-3 Compression/Sustainer.

I could not get it to "work" for me, no matter how much I tweaked everything. I eventually sold it.
It kind of soured me on compressors for a time.

What I like about the MoRC, and I know this sounds trite,
but it really does have the "can't tell when it's on, miss it when it's gone" thing.

Hope you find one that works for you.  :)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

blearyeyes

I have a CS-3 and it is an obvious effect. What I do like about it is the EQ has gain so you can dial in the highs that all compressors take out.

Anyone build Haberdasher's Zirconia?: 

http://lectric-fx.com/product/zirconia-optical-compressor/

I'm used to studio compressors so I wish I could build one that has metering that lets you see the gain reduction and release visually.

jtn191

Sounds like the Diamond Compressor. I'm building the 4:1 soon and would like to try Bearhug, Ross (modified), Compulator, and Rothwell Lovesqueeze--all with mods for more control.

And to OP, maybe you'd like the Dynacomp? Noisy but iconic for the sustain.

FWIW, I measured some compressors and made a spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KDYdyKn-rG-0-RljN8W3Ug4FL56FLGDuN-30dHAZaPU/edit?usp=sharing
And this site is awesome for compressor info (from a bass player's perspective): www.ovnilab.com

I'd love to do a shootout if I had enough together.

junkemail86

Quote from: blearyeyes on April 25, 2016, 02:58:36 PM
I have a CS-3 and it is an obvious effect. What I do like about it is the EQ has gain so you can dial in the highs that all compressors take out.

Anyone build Haberdasher's Zirconia?: 

http://lectric-fx.com/product/zirconia-optical-compressor/

I'm used to studio compressors so I wish I could build one that has metering that lets you see the gain reduction and release visually.

Not very DIY, but Monoprice sells a cheap mini compressor pedal that is rumored to a Diamond clone.  I just bought one and it's awesome (ashamed to say it knocked all my DIY compressors off my board), does sound like a tilt-style EQ but don't have a Diamond to compare to.

jtn191

Ovnilab says that one's noisy, not as nice as diamond but dunno...maybe a bad batch

Haberdasher

yup, the zirc is the diamond.
it's the transparent type of comp that doesn't sound like an effect, but if you turn the comp knob up it does sustain.  lots of volume on tap as well.  i won't say it's the best for sustain because I'm not really an authority on the subject, but I thought I'd throw in two cents.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS