News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DigDug2 voltage control

Started by neandrewthal, April 24, 2016, 10:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neandrewthal

The DigDug sequencer output is supposed to be used to control an external optical effect, but what would happen if you plugged into a control voltage input, say on a MoogerFooger phaser?

If that wouldnt work, is it possible to make it work while still keeping the on-board tremelo and wah?

And lastly, has anyone ever added a glide/smooth/slew/lag/glissando/portamento control to theirs?

Strategy

I think the Moogerfooger and Moog pedals along with EHX are all supposed to take *either* CV input or expression (variable resistance) input. There's something clever in the jack switching that makes this possible. I would think your DigDug output should work great for any Moog pedals and any recent (last 5 or so years) EHX stuff with the input, like Memory Boy etc.

You could probably also figure out how to tap the CV itself out of the sequencer but you might want to buffer it so that patching it externally doesn't suck the life out of it. I've had this happen when trying to use pedal LFO's (like Gristleizer) control external devices.

My goal with external patching DigDug is to get a trigger input in parallel with the tap tempo. Reading the Molten Voltage documentation it seems set up for a voltage pulse like that. I could then sync DigDug to my analog drum machines like TR-606 or Korg Volcas.

Strategy

neandrewthal

Hey I know you! I have your LP Drumsolo's Delight and a CD I can't remember the name of and I really like them.

I don't know about EHX  but I think the moogerfooger inputs are a bit different. They do accept voltage directly into the jack but they achieve their variable resistance control by outputing 5v on the ring connection which must be brought to the expression pedal and back via a stereo cable.

I don't see how that would work with the DigDug but maybe it could spit out CV reliably as long as I buffer it. If I use an op-amp however, that would add the problem of clipping close to 0v unless I use a bipolar supply.

Thanks for the reply!

Strategy

ha ha yeah my handle's not so stealth although typically on the guitar pedal forums I don't run into a ton of fans  :D

OK so that's interesting how the moogerfooger pedals run the CV through the passive pedal. interesting! My guess is that the EHX stuff is similar as again, they suggest either passive expression pedals or CV's as control sources. I would definitely think about 'borrowing' a CV from somewhere in the sequencing part of the circuit and adding a buffer to make sure it doesn't cause sag in the DigDug. For your bipolar in a small footprint, you could probably sneak in a Madbean Road Rage to get the -V?

Strategy