News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lo-fi Machine! (Comp, Pitch Pirate and Sonic Reducer)

Started by Boba7, April 27, 2016, 05:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba7

This is not my cleanest or best looking build, but I think it's my favorite so far!

First I wanted to buy a Zvex Instant Lofi Junky, but it's expensive and it sounds quite dark (from the youtube demos), and the compression seems too over the top for my needs.

So I decided to start with a Pitch Pirate (Mid-fi Electronics), etched by Haberdasher (THANKS). There's a few mistakes on the available pcb, but with the schematic it's easy to fix them.
I then added a mosfet compressor at the input (a slightly modified version of this one: https://circuitsaladdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/mosfet-compressor1.gif). The perf layout was made by midwayfair (THANKS!!)
And on the output of the Pitch Pirate, I added a Sonic Reducer from Parasit Studios (a beautiful beautiful bitcrusher !)
The other toggle switch adds a cap to the PT2399 section of the PP to get a darker vibrato.

I added a couple resistors/caps to prevent noise from the power sections. The wiring isn't very clean, but I did my best to avoid any kind of noises or lfo ticking. It's now very silent.

The whole thing sounds awesome, I'm really happy with it. The PP is capable of very smooth chorus and vibrato sounds as well as completely over the top square wave vibrato.

storyboardist

That's flippin' awesome. Really dig the trapezoid enclosure and the stamped letters. Nice work.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

matmosphere

Quote from: storyboardist on April 27, 2016, 06:14:44 AM
That's flippin' awesome. Really dig the trapezoid enclosure and the stamped letters. Nice work.

Agree all the way. That thing looks fantastic. I like that you used the bottom of the case on top-down the screws add to the overall look.

You should post some audio, I'd love to hear how it sounds.

kinski

Lovely!

Got a question. Which cap do you change to get darker repeats on the PP? I love that pedal but I find the repeats a bit to unfiltered.

Boba7

Thanks guys! It was really fun to build it.

Kinski, it's C3, that's between pin 13 and 14 of the chip. Mine has 1n by default and adds a 3.3nf (could even be a 4.7nf, can't remember right now which one I finally chose) in parallel to get darker repeat/wet signal.

Matmosphere, I'd love to record a few sounds  with it. Don't have much time right now (just recently became a dad), but I'll definitely do it at some point.

jtn191

Cool build. I like my Instant Lo-fi but it's probably not worth the price. Wish the compressor had it's own controls!

Strategy

Too bad it's all boxed up or you could have added the Tim Escobedo "lofomofo" for additional lo-fidelity. I built one and it's awesome, the layouts are tiny too. Seems to work better with a buffer on the input though.
Strategy

selfdestroyer

Such a cool team of circuits in that awesome enclosure. Looks fantastic!

I miss the simplicity and ease of stamps, they look so damn good. I need to start using them more myself.

Cody

matmosphere

Quote from: Boba7 on April 27, 2016, 07:52:40 AM
Don't have much time right now (just recently became a dad), but I'll definitely do it at some point.

Nice dude, congratulations. I'm sure you have plenty of loud noise in the house without plugging in a guitar right now ;)

Boba7

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 27, 2016, 09:17:37 AM
Quote from: Boba7 on April 27, 2016, 07:52:40 AM
Don't have much time right now (just recently became a dad), but I'll definitely do it at some point.

Nice dude, congratulations. I'm sure you have plenty of loud noise in the house without plugging in a guitar right now ;)

Ah ah yep, plenty!

selfdestroyer > thanks! I love your blog. Your builds are always an inspiration!

Strategy > I thought about the lofomofo but from the demos I heard it sounded too much like a radio filter, and I don't really need that... for now... of course... :)

Martan

Love it all. Very cool all around. And congrats on the new addition! A practice amp with a headphone jack is a must in my house for that reason😉

monkeyssj1

Nice job! That circuit looks like tons of fun. Would you make a demo for us? :D

jtn191

I'd like to hear it too when you get a chance. The Pitch Pirate had been on my radar and I'm a compressor junkie. Where's the layout for the comp?

Boba7

Yeah I'll definitely record something when I have the time (which might not be before a little while... cf above posts ;) )

The layout is in Jon Patton's perf library, if you search for "library" on this page youll find the link (zip): https://jonpattonmusic.com/things-i-make/

But you need to read about it on Circuit salad site, it must be tweaked a bit to sound good. And it's more on the subtle side. It adds the slight "poc" to the attack that I wanted and let the chords bloom. Nothing like a Ross or the Zvex circuit.
If I had had more space I would have used a modified (sensitivity) afterlife I think.
Anyways that one just really works for my "needs"!

It's a ton of fun to play!