News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Re: An IC Quandary

Started by K3yPr0gg3r, May 01, 2016, 11:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

On Mouser, Tayda, Small Bear, etc. I keep finding extra letters attached to IC/Transistor types I need. Example: I need an OPA2228 IC, and I find OPA2228PA or OPA2228P... Are these identical to the listed component needed?

Thank you

jimilee

Look up the data sheets to compare them. Great learning experience. USUALLY there are similarities enough to say they are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

The suffix can mean a few different things. Generally they indicate either package type or temperature range. Sometimes other things. Most of the time you are safe ordering any given one but do make sure you are getting DIP and not SMT (unless you are building surface mount).

As Jimi said, looking at the datasheets are a good habit to get into. Often they will lay out in a grid exactly what each suffix means.

K3yPr0gg3r

There was some thermal info. on the data sheet. The biggest difference I noticed was in the Vos - Input Offset Voltage. OPA2228PA had 200uV, where as OPA2228P had 75uV. Not sure if this matters...

galaxiex

Quote from: K3yPr0gg3r on May 02, 2016, 12:49:07 AM
There was some thermal info. on the data sheet. The biggest difference I noticed was in the Vos - Input Offset Voltage. OPA2228PA had 200uV, where as OPA2228P had 75uV. Not sure if this matters...

In this case I think the difference is a tighter tolerance for Vos. Probably won't matter.
Does the OPA2228P cost more?
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

K3yPr0gg3r

Yes. $9.75 vs $5.30...I figured the one with a greater Vos would be more expensive...   ?

galaxiex

Ummm, No.

Large input offset voltage might be considered a bad thing in some applications, (precision electronic measuring instrument)
so a lower value for Vos means the part has a better (tighter) tolerance in this regard.
For pedal building it likely won't matter, and you would be hard pressed to hear any difference.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.