News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pearl DSL-06 pcb or schematic?

Started by Matt, May 05, 2016, 06:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Does anyone make a Pearl ds-06 clone pcb or have a correct schematic?  The schematic that I found seems to have mistakes. Thanks in advance.
Matt

mremic01

I haven't seen any PCBs around. I was considering making one until I got my hands on a real DS-06. It's awful. Sounds kind of like someone set the knobs on a Rat to sound really ugly, then gave it the stiffness of a DS-1. It's also one of the stiffest (least liquid?) sounding pedals I've ever played.

If you really want to build one, the Pearl factory schematics are difficult to read, but are generally 'correct'. What I mean is that the way they are on paper is not necessarily how they're wired on the actually unit, but they're functionally equivalent. It seems like the PCB designers made some slight changes here and there when adapting the schems in order to make manufacturing easier.

The OD-05, on the other hand, is incredible. I highly recommend putting one together and lowering the value of the on the drive pot. That one mod makes it an incredibly versatile od.

Matt

Yeah I ordered the Aion od5 project. I was just curious about the ds6. I saw one demo that was good and one that was terrible.

My issue with the schematic that I found had
1 R16 seems to be incorrect
2 It seemed that the resistor array for the spectrum control was connected wrong. It showed them connected to c16
3 it showed D1 not connected at one end (part of the switching?)
So I wasn't sure if anything else was incorrect

http://mrotqch.webcrow.jp/stomp/zoo/PEARL_DS-06.bak.png

Spent more time looking over the schematic this morning and it's making a lot more sense to me now. You are right they are a bit difficult to understand
Matt

aion

Quote from: mremic01 on May 08, 2016, 02:26:13 PM
I haven't seen any PCBs around. I was considering making one until I got my hands on a real DS-06. It's awful. Sounds kind of like someone set the knobs on a Rat to sound really ugly, then gave it the stiffness of a DS-1. It's also one of the stiffest (least liquid?) sounding pedals I've ever played.

That was my impression too. I bought one with the thought that it might be a nice obscure pedal to design a clone for, since Pearl did fantastically well with all the others I've played. But basically it's a lot like the DS-1 but with a crappy version of the OD-05's midrange control that uses fixed resistors instead of the dual reverse-audio pot. Not sure why they didn't just go with the pot - it's really the same, just less tweakable, and they'd already done the pot before.

I might give it a second look just to see if any ideas or mods from the DS-1 could be implemented to make it better, and whether it'd be worth doing something "DS-06ish" but not an exact clone. Certainly something like a DS-1 but with a parametric midrange would be interesting.

playpunk

I'm pretty sure that's the Matthews "harbinger." It's a ratish distortions with a parametric mid range.

I also think a turbo rat with a tone stack lifted from the ultras toner and germanium diodes would be a versatile pedal, but I lack both the skills and the time to make it happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk