News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

100kC Dual Gang Pots

Started by irmcdermott, July 20, 2011, 09:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Where are you guys getting them from, since Small Bear is seemingly always out of the 16mm ones? Or are you just using the 24mm ones he sells? Trying to source my Quadrovibe build, having a little trouble. Or... I'm willing to offer up my etching skills or other items in a trade if someone has one they can part with. If that's the case, PM me as to not pollute a "General Questions" thread with trade negotiations :)

madbean

I didn't realize SB was out.
You can use a 250kB dual and put a 330k resistor on each row of lugs to approximate 100kC (this is from the Forum Vibe).


cjkbug

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

irmcdermott

you guys are the best! thanks.

cjkbug, did you mean that tayda has the 250kB ones? I couldn't find the 100kC there.

k.rock!

Is using a 100kA and wired backwards an option? If it is, mammoth has them:

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/RV16A01F-10-15R1-A-p/230-100-a.htm

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

madbean

If you use the 250kB, make sure you do not connect the wires between lugs 2 and 1 on each row, otherwise it won't work properly.

cjkbug

Quote from: irmcdermott on July 20, 2011, 11:23:21 AM
you guys are the best! thanks.

cjkbug, did you mean that tayda has the 250kB ones? I couldn't find the 100kC there.
keep looking that's where I got them.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

irmcdermott

#7
Quote from: cjkbug on July 20, 2011, 12:04:34 PM
Quote from: irmcdermott on July 20, 2011, 11:23:21 AM
you guys are the best! thanks.

cjkbug, did you mean that tayda has the 250kB ones? I couldn't find the 100kC there.
keep looking that's where I got them.

ok, this is all they have for Reverse. No Dual-Gangs. Maybe they are out. thanks.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-Potentiometer--fdsh--Variable-Resistors-cln-Rotary-Potentiometer-cln-Anti-dsh-Log-%28Reverse%29/Categories

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've never seen dual gang reverse pots at Tayda. I'd go for the 100kA and wire it backwards.
Maybe I missed them too..
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

irmcdermott

Quote from: madbean on July 20, 2011, 10:30:40 AM
I didn't realize SB was out.
You can use a 250kB dual and put a 330k resistor on each row of lugs to approximate 100kC (this is from the Forum Vibe).



So Brian, you mean to just put that resistor across lugs 1 & 3 like usual, correct?

gtr2

Wiring a 100kB backwards would not change the taper of the pot to a kC.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

cjkbug

maybe I bought a half dozen about a month ago.
Quote from: irmcdermott on July 20, 2011, 12:15:35 PM
Quote from: cjkbug on July 20, 2011, 12:04:34 PM
Quote from: irmcdermott on July 20, 2011, 11:23:21 AM
you guys are the best! thanks.

cjkbug, did you mean that tayda has the 250kB ones? I couldn't find the 100kC there.
keep looking that's where I got them.

ok, this is all they have for Reverse. No Dual-Gangs. Maybe they are out. thanks.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-Potentiometer--fdsh--Variable-Resistors-cln-Rotary-Potentiometer-cln-Anti-dsh-Log-%28Reverse%29/Categories
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

irmcdermott

Quote from: madbean on July 20, 2011, 11:29:46 AM
If you use the 250kB, make sure you do not connect the wires between lugs 2 and 1 on each row, otherwise it won't work properly.

Maybe my brain is just fried right now. But can you explain how to go about this? What lugs are the 330k resistors going on? Also, if I don't connect 2 & 1, do I just leave lug 1 unconnected? I'm scratching my head trying to figure it out.

maysink

You connect the 330K resistors between lugs 1 & 3 of EACH ganged pot of a 250KB dual-ganged pot to make a "100K-ish rev. log dual ganged pot." This is according to the Forum Vibe build docs. How a linear pot becomes rev log is beyond me...

You would then wire the dual ganged pot as normal; lugs 1, 2, & 3 (x2) to wherever they are supposed to go.

When I have tied a resistor between lugs 1 & 3 in the past, I tucked it behind the lugs in shrinkwrap and soldered it into the hole for each lug. That might make no sense but here's where I stole the idea. Just expand the concept to lugs 1 & 3.
[nothing to see here]
-e

irmcdermott

Quote from: maysink on July 26, 2011, 10:24:09 PM
You connect the 330K resistors between lugs 1 & 3 of EACH ganged pot of a 250KB dual-ganged pot to make a "100K-ish rev. log dual ganged pot." This is according to the Forum Vibe build docs. How a linear pot becomes rev log is beyond me...

You would then wire the dual ganged pot as normal; lugs 1, 2, & 3 (x2) to wherever they are supposed to go.

When I have tied a resistor between lugs 1 & 3 in the past, I tucked it behind the lugs in shrinkwrap and soldered it into the hole for each lug. That might make no sense but here's where I stole the idea. Just expand the concept to lugs 1 & 3.

Thanks, my question was about Brian saying not to connect lugs 2 & 3 together like the wiring diagram shows if I us the B250K with the 330k resistor. So that would mean (at least in my head) that one of the lugs wouldn't be connected to anything