News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wood Plane Restoration

Started by chromesphere, May 06, 2016, 12:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here, this is a topic so far from pedal building...Just something I've been working on this week that I wanted to share.

This is my second number 4 wood plane I've restored.  Its come up as good as the first one and cutting beautifully again.  Take a look at the original condition of the plane, you would think its junk, but it comes from a time before our throw away society was born, part of the reason I like these old planes so much.   It cost me $30 aud (ebay)and it will probably last another 100 years (its circa is about 40s-50s).

Now if only my woodworking skills were any good :)

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

gordo

Nice work, I'm glad you posted that. There's nothing like pulling a nice curl with a well set up plane. The smooth feel of it and all those smells coming from the wood.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

richard_mcg

Spectacular!  Really beautiful restoration  :)

davent

Beautiful work Paul! It should live forever, with proper care really what is there to ever wear out?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lincolnic

Very cool! So what kind of work goes into restoring something like this?

chromesphere

Thanks guys, I tried not to overdo it too much, I just wanted a clean, good looking and most importantly, functional plane. I think it came up alright.

Quote from: lincolnic on May 06, 2016, 04:15:27 AM
Very cool! So what kind of work goes into restoring something like this?

Its not as hard as you might think, just TLC and some elbow grease and as you can see from my restore on this plane, even some of the most rusted, abused and neglected planes can come up looking nice.  There is a beautiful hand tool waiting underneath all of that crud and neglect, you just have to find it.

There are some things to be weary of though, too much rust resulting in a lot of pitting, plastic or broken handles, and blades that have little usable steel left (although new ones can be bought).  I don't look for a plane that actually looks appealing, shiny etc, I look for a plane that has the potential to be a good working tool. As you can see in the photos, this plane looked pretty flogged in the ebay listing, but it came up looking nice. It was a calculated gamble for me to buy it, but then old tools always are.  I also like wooden handles (newer plastic handled planes aren't the same level of quality as their older iterations) and brass fittings for...well...bling really.  Those are solid brass, not brass plated as everything is these days.

Here is a good tutorial video on restoring a plane from the number one in handtool woodworking if you are interested in this sort of thing:

jtn191

My dad did the same! I don't get it but he loves it

BrianS

Man Paul when I first saw this I thought you had gone into model airplane building.  LOL.

Great job on the restore.

chromesphere

Quote from: BrianS on May 06, 2016, 10:22:12 PM
Man Paul when I first saw this I thought you had gone into model airplane building.  LOL.

Great job on the restore.

Dont worry Brian, when i attempt to do any woodworking all it manages to do is remind why i build pedals :)

davent

You're all set Paul, for the classical guitar i made all the wood prep was done with a couple #4 Stanley's.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Haberdasher

I was expecting a Spruce Goose refurbishing :P
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

chromesphere

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 07, 2016, 12:56:46 AM
I was expecting a Spruce Goose refurbishing :P

Hop in smithers! :)

Quote from: davent on May 07, 2016, 12:44:47 AM
You're all set Paul, for the classical guitar i made all the wood prep was done with a couple #4 Stanley's.

dave

Thanks Dave, im flattered to think that you would have faith in my woodworking abilities to be able to build a guitar.  For now i will try to cut a straight line with a saw (or any other primary hand tool woodworking skill).  I find woodworking so difficult.  I guess like everything, just takes time = skill and skill = time.  The only main tool i have left to get is a dovetail saw.  Then there really is no excuse. :)

Edit: these are some of the other old tools i have collected over the past 2-3 years.  Those saws need to be retoothed properly, i tried but failed.  everything else is in good shape.  The chisel edges are polished and the planes cut well.