News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny fried resistor.

Started by smallpoxchampion, May 09, 2016, 01:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallpoxchampion

I've had my Mudbunny (Civil War specs, 2014 version) up and running for a few weeks now and really been enjoying it up until yesterday when I noticed it just wasn't sounding quite right. I opened it up and noticed R24 was completely fried. Before I go ahead and replace the 100R resistor I was hoping to understand why this happened. I know one of the updates to this project was the change on D5 from 1n4001 to 1n5817. Should I make that replacement on D5 as well even though I have the 2014 pcb? Any insight is appreciated.

midwayfair

D5 in the 2014 version is doing a completely different job from the 2015 version.

Resistors get fried when there's too much current pulled through them. There's no reason whatsoever that the BMP should draw enough current to fry a 1/4W resistor, so you need to figure out where the current sink is. The pedal would actually run fine with that resistor shorted under normal circumstances (might have a little more power supply noise) but the fact that it didn't sound right when the resistor burned out probably indicates that something else is wrong.

Replace the resistor and take voltages on both sides of it. Don't box it up again until you find the current sink. One place to look is if D5 is backwards.

groovenut

+1 to everything Jon said plus make sure nothing is shorting to the enclosure.