News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Capacitor's for signal flow.

Started by klonisgayjplay, May 09, 2016, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klonisgayjplay

So i am putting in Mouser orders for some madbean projects i have. One being the moodring. I've read that if i want the best quality pedal it is a good idea to be conscious of what capacitors i'm using in the signal flow.

So my questions are.

-How do i determine signal flow?
-What are good capacitors to be used in signal flow?
-What are good capacitors to be used elsewhere in the project?

Let me know if this doesn't make sense and ill try to clarify further, thank you guys!

klonisgayjplay

other general questions are.

-How does signal flow in an audio path apply to decoupling capacitor? Does that affect tone?
-have any good resources for learning about signal flow for electronics diagnostics?

and heres my first attempt at marking signal flow.

lol notice i just included the capacitors involved with the pt2399

EBRAddict

Google "passive low pass filter" and "passive high pass filter".

A capacitor has the tendency to allow high frequencies through and block low frequencies. It can be manipulated with resistance to change the cutoff point.

As far as caps go there are 3 commonly used in pedals: electrolytic aluminum capacitors (those metal cylinders), film capacitors (many times a box), and ceramic capacitors (discs or small epoxy dipped bulbs). You should research the attributes of them regarding noise, accuracy, size, cost, voltage tolerance, etc.

klonisgayjplay

i guess my question is, is there a quality difference between the blue box, the grey box, or the more rounded red box (panasonic?) capacitors.