News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover C1 value

Started by taeagan, October 02, 2016, 12:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taeagan

Posted this in the wrong forum earlier. Apologies.

C1 in the Current Lover is listed as 39n. It's the filter cap right at the input. This can't be a critical value, right? Can I sub in 22n or 47n? Thanks

madbean

taeagan

I wound up socketing the cap anyway and dropped a 47n in.

I finished assembling and hooked it up to my test rig.  I set the pots and trimmers as per the calibration steps.  When I fire it up, I get an oscillating tone and no audio signal.  I get no audio signal no matter where I touch the audio probe to, including directly to the IN clip on the test rig.  When I touch the audio probe to ground I still get the oscillating tone.  I measured about 1Mohm from IN to ground, which would make sense to me with the pulldown resistor.

Any thoughts?  I double and triple checked for solder bridges, diode polarity, electrolytic cap polarity, and IC orientation. 

taeagan

So I figured out why I wasn't getting my input signal - I hadn't jumpered the inputs in the effects loop. Duh.  I re-read the document and realized that one. 

However, I was still getting the oscillating signal.  Even though I see no solder bridges or other components making contact, I was able to get it to disappear intermittently by flexing the board a bit (I have one of the thin boards).  I fiddled around with some of the components on the board and I was able to get it to stop by jimmying with Q2 and R34.  Q2 is socketed.

Is there any reason that the oscillating signal would get into the sginal path at this point?  I ask because I'm not convinced that I fixed it for good and I'd like to put it to bed.  Note that the oscillating signal becomes a constant tone when I switch Filter to the other position.