News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My proudest Pedal Building moment (Caballero Pro Model)

Started by Mojo Fandangle, May 13, 2016, 03:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo Fandangle

I built this pedal for Pro Skateboarder, Steve Caballero, who was one of my idols as a kid.
A Photographer friend knows him through his work and had me build it for him to give to Steve as a gift.

It's a Slow Loris Rat.
He had asked for a 'Punk Distortion' so it was originally going to be a 'Dirty Rat' but I ended up going with stock Rat diodes and LED's because I preferred it to the Dirty Rat diodes and it still sounded similar.

Pretty stoked with the paint job. All hand painted in the style of Steve's early Skateboard designs.
The Logo is from the 'RatBones' Skateboard Wheels Logo. By pure luck, it turns out Caballero has just been re-sponsored by RatBones. I did the old glowing eyeball LED's trick to add some character.

He received the pedal today. It's definitely my proudest moment in pedal building.

He even gave me a little gift of appreciation. An unreleased Steve Caballero Matchbox Figurine.

"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

matmosphere

Excellent, that looks so great! What a cool opportunity.

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

pickdropper

That's awesome.

Did he mention how his search for Animal Chin is coming?    ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Mojo Fandangle

Quote from: pickdropper on May 13, 2016, 05:33:06 AM
Did he mention how his search for Animal Chin is coming?    ;D

Pretty sure they never found him, but he's out there somewhere.
I didn't actually meet him myself. My friend passed on the pedal to him whilst travelling over there.
I'm hoping to catch him next time he's in Sydney so I can get him to sign the photo for me.

287m

wow, great moment

hey, when the hot wheel released?
i collect some diecast too, hotwheel and matchbox short card hehe

culturejam

Awesome!

Caballero was my favorite member of the Bones Brigade.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

ryanisradd

So awesome! And Cab rips on a skateboard too! My favorite moments in pedal building have been making this for people/bands I admire.
Affiliations: I work for Chase Bliss Audio making things with lots of DIP switches.

midwayfair

raulduke

Awesome work!

I remember the dude being in Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (I put far too much time into that game).

Bret608

I actually broke my arm (compound fracture no less) riding a Bone Caballero model back in 1988. Good times! Glad to hear some of these guys are still at it. I was more of a Santa Cruz/Dogtown/Vision guy but the old Powell team does bring back memories. It's the connections between skateboarding and punk/alternative music that really started it all off for me. Anyway, thanks for sharing this awesome story!

Luke51411

Quote from: raulduke on May 13, 2016, 09:43:43 AM
Awesome work!

I remember the dude being in Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (I put far too much time into that game).
Yeah, that's where I recognized the name from. I played the first two games a lot!
Also, really cool story and excellent pedal build! So cool all around!

matmosphere

Quote from: Luke51411 on May 13, 2016, 12:58:30 PM
Awesome work!

Yeah, that's where I recognized the name from. I played the first two games a lot!
Also, really cool story and excellent pedal build! So cool all around!

Alright, you guys need to watch this tonight:

This all makes me want to skate again, but it's been years (and many pounds) since I've been on a deck. I can feel my knees getting angry at me already.

movinginslomo

If he cuts it in half is it a half-cab pedal? (bad pun!)

Mojo Fandangle

Quote from: 287m on May 13, 2016, 06:11:08 AM
hey, when the hot wheel released?
i collect some diecast too, hotwheel and matchbox short card hehe

Not sure. Must be very soon though. He's been doing promo stuff for it lately.
I think there's 10 different ones being released because the box says 2 of 10.
Some of my friends collect skate memorabilia. There's a huge collectors market nowadays. I think that's why MatchBox are releasing the skate range.

Quote from: culturejam on May 13, 2016, 06:14:21 AM
Caballero was my favorite member of the Bones Brigade.

Mine too. I always thought he was the better street skater of the Bones Brigade.
He did tricks that were accessible for kids to go out the front of your house and have a try at doing.
They were all awesome to watch but not everybody had a 10 ft ramp out the back. Cab could skate anything.

Quote from: Bret608 on May 13, 2016, 10:28:49 AM
I actually broke my arm (compound fracture no less) riding a Bone Caballero model back in 1988. Good times! Glad to hear some of these guys are still at it. I was more of a Santa Cruz/Dogtown/Vision guy

I think Cab was probably inadvertently responsible for thousands of broken limbs in the 80's.
He's about 50 now but still does skate tours. Mostly bowl and ramp stuff nowadays but he still pulls all the tricks.
I was more of a Vision guy too. I never had a Cab board, but did inherit my brothers Vision Psycho Stick. Loved that thing. Hot pink grip tape with the ripped pattern that was all the rage in the day.

Awesome work!

Yep, I think a lot of wasted youth went into that game. #2 was my favourite as well.