News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a dog thread. Now we do.

Started by GermanCdn, May 16, 2016, 01:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

Since many of us have had our pooches photobomb some of our post pics, I figured it would be time to a thread for them (pretty sure we don't have one).  Anyways, I'll start with my current pack, who are in part to blame for my lack of building over the last year as they occupy a lot of what used to be my free time.

This is Daphne (left, female, about 18 months old) and Aaron (right, male, about 9 months old). 

Both are Sheprador (German Shepherd Black Lab crosses) rescues (both names are their rescue names, they fit for both of them).  We picked Daphne up from the Humane Society last summer, how she didn't get snapped up the second she got there is still a mystery to me (except that she stress farted for the entire hour we played with her there to the point where it was almost unbearable to be in the room with her).  We originally picked her up for Bonnie, as I was out on the road three out four weeks a month, and Bonnie wanted a guard dog among other things.  Daphne is wonderful at many things, but being a guard dog is not one of them.  I'm certain she'd walk an intruder right through the house to show them where all the valuables are.  She's got Lab face, paws, body, and Shepherd tail and colouring (when we got her she was jet black with only a faint hint of mottled Shepherd colours, but now she's faded into dark Shepherd profile colours with a black head and a black stripe right down her spine).  She loves hiking and the water, has a huge prey drive (the rabbits in our neighbourhood have almost cost me a dislocated shoulder a couple of times), and I'm pretty sure could pull my SUV down the street without much effort.

Not wanting to stick with one dog, we got Aaron from another rescue firm as a puppy this last February.  Same mix as Daphne, but pretty much the exact opposite.  He's got Lab tail, colouring, and paws, and Shepherd ears, face, and body.  He is full on guard dog, and is currently convinced he's the largest and scariest dog in our town.  He's neither.  I'm hoping he'll be a hiker as well, only issue we have with him is that something broke his right rear leg (I just tell myself he got hit by a car, cause if someone abused him and broke his leg, I'd actually have to track them down and introduce them to the larger end of my edged weapons collection) and it was never properly set or treated so it healed wrong and he has a developmental deficiency in that leg.  Normally it's not an issue, but if you push him too hard his limp will show up.  Vet seems to think it won't get any worse than it is right now, he may grow out of it.  It will likely be a problem later in life (i.e. arthritis), so they asked if we wanted to amputate it off instead.  Hmm, let's see, he'll probably have eight to ten good years on it, or take it off now?  We'll let him have the good years, thanks doc.  Like I said, he's the opposite of Daphne, so he is complete guard dog, fast and sleek where she is slow with a lot of torque, he couldn't care less about rabbits or cats.  He's as big as Daphne right now with a lot of growing left to do, he's likely going to be a giant, though probably a skinny giant.

Thinking some days I want a third, but two's a lot right now.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

EBRAddict

lincolnic

This is already my favorite thread. More dogs, please!

jubal81

Sizzles is now bionic! He got a pacemaker inserted at the Vet School at New Year's. His heart rate was only 30 beats per minute, but now a few months later it's been pretty miraculous. He's back to his old self. Went hiking up to Rainbow Falls last month and he did really well.

Best guess is he's at least 13 years old. I've had him 9 years and he was a stray my sister was fostering and made me adopt because - as i found out later - he was the worst behaved dog she'd ever taken in. He's a really good dog these days, but the first few years were tough.

And hair - yes the hair is in and on absolutely everything.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

SmoothAction

Animals are a beacon of light. They shine the path we all walk on that is known as 'life'. <3

Those are some beautiful woof-woofs, friends.

flanagan0718

Ah yes my 95 lb lap dog...She warms my heart. She has to be the most gentile dopiest dog. She's great with my daughter and is loyal until the end. She's a lover and a licker and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Me and my puppy Zoey

Who said you could wear my tie?

Aubrey and Zoey