News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD : Epiphone Les Paul 60s Tribute

Started by daleykd, May 18, 2016, 08:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daleykd

You guys have no idea how excited I am for this NGD.  13 years ago, my "baby" Epi Les Paul (translucent blue) was stolen by my ex band mates.  Since then, I have dreamed of replacing her.

Yesterday, I (sadly) traded my Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 head for this beauty.  Even trade, no cash needed!  Can't wait to start tapping those Gibby coils!

jimilee

Wow, that's beautiful. Watcha gonna play it through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aleph Null

daleykd

Quote from: jimilee on May 18, 2016, 09:02:50 AM
Wow, that's beautiful. Watcha gonna play it through?
Headphones?  :)  jk

My only amp right now is a Fender Blues Jr, with BillM mods.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

blearyeyes

daleykd

Doing a bit of research makes me wonder why this guitar has a pickguard.  From what I've seen, the Tribute Plus doesn't come with one.  I personally love it, but wonder how it has one.

GermanCdn

Quote from: daleykd on May 18, 2016, 01:09:10 PM
Doing a bit of research makes me wonder why this guitar has a pickguard.  From what I've seen, the Tribute Plus doesn't come with one.  I personally love it, but wonder how it has one.

I'm fairly sure it depends on the model year.  IIRC, the original Tributes didn't have a pickguard, had the brown leather case, US wiring and pickups (Burstbuckers I think), and the later models (which incorporated the years in the title) had pickguards, black leather case, US pickups (57s), offshore wiring.  But I could be wrong on that, it's been a long since I looked at new Epis.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

George

m-Kresol

I have one that looks just like yours. mine is a Les paul standard plustop pro, though. Love it, but it sure is heavy when you haven't played it in a while (using my thinline telecaster mainly atm).
Have fun
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jball85

Great choice. The previous owner might have had a pickguard installed.

daleykd

In the world of comparing guitars, I'm a complete newb.

My main guitar (until this) was a MIM Tele with stock pups.  After modding my Blues Jr, I finally got the cleans I was looking for.  Soooo clean.

Now, I put the Epi LP in with those Gibson USA 57s, and it seems muddy as hell.  Is this to be expected?

GermanCdn

Quote from: daleykd on May 19, 2016, 10:28:17 AM
In the world of comparing guitars, I'm a complete newb.

My main guitar (until this) was a MIM Tele with stock pups.  After modding my Blues Jr, I finally got the cleans I was looking for.  Soooo clean.

Now, I put the Epi LP in with those Gibson USA 57s, and it seems muddy as hell.  Is this to be expected?

On the same amp settings - yes.  You're probably dealing with about 5 - 7 k more in pickup resistance (pretty sure stock MIMs are about 6k and 57s are in the 11 - 13k range), so you get a hotter signal going into the amp, which will cause some degree of overdrive.  Your pickup profile also likely has more mids in it, adding to the overall "muddiness".  You can get (different) clean tones from a HH guitar, but you will have to tweak the EQ.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

daleykd

Quote from: GermanCdn on May 19, 2016, 10:46:54 AM
On the same amp settings - yes.  You're probably dealing with about 5 - 7 k more in pickup resistance (pretty sure stock MIMs are about 6k and 57s are in the 11 - 13k range), so you get a hotter signal going into the amp, which will cause some degree of overdrive.  Your pickup profile also likely has more mids in it, adding to the overall "muddiness".  You can get (different) clean tones from a HH guitar, but you will have to tweak the EQ.
That is the best explanation...ever!  It actually makes sense to me.

I do get it clean if I turn up the treble or sparkle or presence, and turn down the bass/mids a bit.

Thank you for making me not feel:
1) Dumb/crazy
2) Like I got a bad guitar.  8)