News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hard time putting logo on PCB in Eagle CAD

Started by markeprice, May 20, 2016, 04:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markeprice

I am looking for simple instructions for putting a logo on a PCB design I have in Eagle CAD.  I have googled some instructions, but for some reason haven't been successful.  1776's logo looks good and I saw one with some labeling or logo around a 4pdt switch on the PCB that looked cool as well as others....Just want to professionalize my design a bit.  Thanks.
Cuz they's made for Giggin!
Mark Price: owner frogpedals.com

daleykd

Gimme a sec.  I wrote something up about this.

daleykd

markeprice

markeprice

It looks very prescriptive, which is good.  Do this do this, etc.  I will try it tonight.
Thank you!
Mark

culturejam

Quote from: daleykd on May 20, 2016, 05:44:19 PM
Here we go... I hope.

Excellent tutorial. I had a process that worked most of the time, but I have since forgotten it. And yours looks better anyway.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Coda-effects

Actually, did anyone managed to make it work with OshPark?
I managed to get my logo on the PCB, however it never appeared on the Oshpark preview when ordering... So I just ended tracing it with Eagle tools (text, line, circle...)

daleykd

Quote from: Coda-effects on May 20, 2016, 08:30:50 PM
I managed to get my logo on the PCB, however it never appeared on the Oshpark preview when ordering... So I just ended tracing it with Eagle tools (text, line, circle...)
Yeah.  My doc talks about OSHPark.  I've used it a BUNCH with OSHPark at 500dpi, and it does work.  You're right; the preview doesn't show it.

Follow-up: It also works with seeed.

selfdestroyer

Matt

Matt

m-Kresol

Quote from: daleykd on May 20, 2016, 09:32:02 PM
Yeah.  My doc talks about OSHPark.  I've used it a BUNCH with OSHPark at 500dpi, and it does work.  You're right; the preview doesn't show it.

Follow-up: It also works with seeed.

so it doesn't show up on the preview but finds its way onto the final board?

I'm doing the same thing ;) a pain in the *** though when you want to change its size
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

aion

Quote from: m-Kresol on May 21, 2016, 07:53:56 AM
so it doesn't show up on the preview but finds its way onto the final board?

Yep - the renderer script skips it since it's huge. (Notice when you're exporting a PCB with a logo from Eagle it takes ~10 seconds vs. non-logo PCBs are almost instant.)

One time Seeed left off the logo on a batch of mine, but they reprinted them when I mentioned it. It'd be a mistake if they did.

alanp

With all the mucking around I've heard tell of for bitmaps on PCBs, like with this thread, I've never bothered, and just put a "Layout AP2016" on mine, these days (adjusting year as needed.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

Quote from: daleykd on May 20, 2016, 05:44:19 PM
Here we go... I hope.

Great tutorial and seems like a better method than I have been using!

The OP mentioned my logo and the circular logo on the Multiplex I believe.  One tip I have is to make the graphic a part.  Then you can just add the "part" to the schematic and use it as a stamp on your board.  Anytime you need to move the logo/graphic you won't have to group together the graphic.  It's also easier to reuse a common graphic like a logo.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

aion

Quote from: gtr2 on May 23, 2016, 11:12:12 AM
The OP mentioned my logo and the circular logo on the Multiplex I believe.  One tip I have is to make the graphic a part.  Then you can just add the "part" to the schematic and use it as a stamp on your board.  Anytime you need to move the logo/graphic you won't have to group together the graphic.  It's also easier to reuse a common graphic like a logo.

+1000. The graphics are massive on their own (hundreds or thousands of tiny lines), so you are gonna be in a pickle if you add them directly to your board. Even if you're only using it once, I would still recommend creating it as a part!