News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Top Mount Versus Side Mount Jacks

Started by Aleph Null, May 26, 2016, 02:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

1590B- Lundberg jacks and 16mm Alpha pots.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Aleph Null

Quote from: davent on June 03, 2016, 03:17:34 PM

dave
So...the trick seems to be Lundberf jacks.

matmosphere

Lundberg jacks do look much better. Because they are so small they don't force the controls down towards the middle of the pedal where my aforementioned giant feet would stomp on them all the time.

neandrewthal

Quote from: Aleph Null on June 04, 2016, 06:55:48 AM
Quote from: davent on June 03, 2016, 03:17:34 PM

dave

Another trick appears to be the layout of the PCB. That one has the pots hanging off of the top of the PCB so that the jacks just have to clear the pots. Most PCBs with board mounted pots cover the whole back side of the pot, requiring a little extra clearance and then also have capacitors and such sticking up.

I'm about to experiment with top mounted jacks (switchraft if I can get away with it but I ordered a few lumberjacks in case I need them) in a 125B and 1590BBM (the 1.55" thick one) with a fully populated PCB right up to the top.  If it works out I will post the results here. Not that it is an unheard of feat in those thicker enclosures but it will still be quite a squeeze without the PCBs and the placement of them designed to accommodate top-mounted jacks.

davent

That pcb has provisions for pcb mount pots oriented with the pots under the board, i didn't use pcb pots or mount the pots under the board. The regular pots position's was in no way determined by the pcb layout in fact the enclosure was done a year before i even knew what i was going to put in it.

Provisions PCB mounted pots has no bearing on where i mount the pots in the enclosure.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

EBRAddict

Muadzin

If you're dead set on using top mounts (as I am) you might as well save yourself the hassle and not bother with 1590's and lundberg jacks. 125B's are not that much bigger, half a centimeter basically in width and length, which is an insignificant increase compared to having side mounted jacks, and the extra height allows for easier to wire jacks. Lundbergs, while smaller, are a pain in the ass to hook up if you want to use shielded wire (as I do). I just did a 1590B with top mounts and it's probably I'm never going to bother using these abominations ever again.

Stomptown

Quote from: EBRAddict on June 04, 2016, 02:51:19 PM
Quote from: Aleph Null on June 04, 2016, 06:55:48 AM

These Kobiconn jacks at Mouser are also pretty compact.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/161-MJ160M-EX

From what I've heard, The a Kobiconn's (which I lead a group buy for) are identical to the lumberg's pictured above.

mmlee

I like top mount in 1590b or side on 1590a.  I use the Lumberg jacks too, it's not really difficult to fit it in, although it's usually better to have pots above the PCB so the knobs can go a little higher if there are more than one row of them.

Main reason for this is the obvious space saving but also I can use the Eddystone equivalents of the boxes which are cheaper!

Marcus
>Marcus

Aleph Null

Has anyone tried this approach? [emoji12]

alanp

Lovetone did!

I'll clarify my previous post to add that the chief, main, burning reason I don't do top mount jacks very often is because I simply can't be arsed with doing anything resembling precise metalwork.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

Quote from: Aleph Null on June 05, 2016, 05:40:39 PM
Has anyone tried this approach? [emoji12]

I've done it with loopers out of sheer necessity, but regular pedals, no. It probably works when you only have a single row of pedals, which was always the case with the Boss pedal boards for which the PSM-5 was designed, but when you have a 2nd tier, or even a 3rd tier of pedals behind the first standing up jacks are not something you want to have when you're trying to stomp on pedals behind them.

On a side note I had two PSM-5's when you had a whole series of 5 Boss pedals in their loops you could hear a difference/tone suck when you deactivated the loop.