News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sabertooth Impedance Control

Started by greyscales, July 22, 2011, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyscales

I would just like some confirmation or correction on how to put an impedance control in a Sabertooth, like in a Zvex Mastotron.

One would just add a 100k pot with a 100r resistor between the input and lug 3, with lugs 1 and 2 going to the board's input, right?

The reason I'd like to have this done is so it is a little more friendly with an active bass.

gone fission

I haven't done this yet, but it's on my to-do list.  I'm assuming you've seen the Mastotron schematic, which is a modded Woolly Mammoth.  With the Bean PCB I would try the wiring you describe but omit R1 (or if you want, try it both ways). Mastotron omits it and you shouldn't need to bridge anything.

dwstanford

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  You can also add the subs mod if you add 33n, 68n, and 100u switchable on a dpdt between the connection from eq pot lug 2 and vol. pot lug 3.

Guitafuzz

hey dwstanford  the sub's mod  it's like in the picture or I have to use another switch. thanks ind advanced

dwstanford

The 68n should be connected to the center lugs of the switch with the connections to each pot so that it is always in the circuit.  That's the way it is on the mastotron anyway.  I would test it out with a few different values to see what you like though.  You may find some values more useful than the stock values.

Guitafuzz

thanks!!!!! :D dwstanford im in the middle of sabertooth build and i want to improve the mod

Guitafuzz

ok i have another question the switch is (on-on-on) or (on-off-on) ???

pryde

I am building a sabertooth for a bassist friend of mine and want to do the mastotron mods to it. I understand the impedence control mod but not sure about the subs mod. Just to make sure:

For the subs mod,
Is the DPDT switch on-off-on type? Also, does the 68n cap mount directly to the center lugs along with the wires (leading out to the pots). Thanks for any clarification on this.

Guitafuzz

The Subs Mode is like the chunk chunk sub modes, you can check the next link http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3632.0

pryde

Awesome, thanks for the link.

One question, the diagram has the top and bottom caps connected (jumped) on the switch. Would i need to do that as well? 

greyscales

Finally I can verify the impedance control on a Sabertooth. Do omit R1 when you do it, it is not necessary.
It's a pretty useful control. When backed off, it gives you a smoother sound. Cranked up is usual WM territory. Now I don't feel bad about having two of them.  ;)

On the other hand, I found the subs switch almost useless. Maybe I did it wrong though. Either way, I like having full bass all the time.

harrisxr650

hey guys a super noob question...where do i solder the impedance control? between input jack and 3pdt or between 3pdt and pcb input? thanks.