News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ultima VII tribute - The Black GATE!

Started by Willybomb, May 29, 2016, 11:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.  Here's my One Knob Gate, built off the attached vero below that I found in the Tagboard forums.  For those who don't know, the fellow on the front (and the font, and the font fill style) is the Guardian taken from the Ultima series of games. 

This was to be my first effort at waterslide decaling.  It came up ok, but I couldn't manage to keep the edges from coming up.  I'd drilled the enclosure earlier off the template thinking I'd put LEDs for the eyes and then realised I'd be struggling to line it up.  Then I came up with the brilliant (!) idea of waterclear yellows behind the decal.

I still had to line it up properly.  Luckily, waterslides let you do that with a bit of soap in the water.

Anyway, because the decal wouldn't stick at the edges, I eventually went to my usual inkjet sticker paper.  I lined it up by putting my phone under the enclosure, light facing up, and lining the sticker up with the bright spots shining through.  Worked remarkably well.  Etching primer on the whole box, mask and spray white undercoat on the top face, place sticker, many, many, many, coats of clear.

Guts are messy, it's a recycled stomp, and I think my soldering iron should be tossed - I don't think it's hot enough.

Came out ok overall.  It's usable.  Basically, plug it in, and turn the knob until you hear the noise go.  It's a pretty sharp knee, you'll definitely hear it.

Willy.

Martan

jimilee

Digging it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

;D

How much was the blackrock enclosure?

stringsthings

Excellent.  One of my favourite games way, way back was Ultima IV.  ( on the C64 ! )
All You Need Is Love

beneharris

That looks so awesome!  8) I love the graphic.

Guybrush

Great work dude!

What pot did you use? Did you try the 3 different suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Willybomb

I think I ended up with a 25k because that's what i had around.

chromesphere

Never thought of doing that (LED underneath a decal).  This would work well with epoxy too as the epoxy is like a sheet of plastic and would protect the decal.  Good idea mate and nice build!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

nzCdog

Ohhhhhhh thats too awesome!  Great concept and execution 8)

Martan

Quote from: chromesphere on June 07, 2016, 11:54:09 PM
Never thought of doing that (LED underneath a decal).  This would work well with epoxy too as the epoxy is like a sheet of plastic and would protect the decal.  Good idea mate and nice build!

It works great under stickers and some plastics. Shines through black ink, too.