News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strange and unusual effects

Started by matmosphere, June 14, 2016, 07:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm getting bored of building dirt pedals and I'm pleased with what I've got for delays right now so I'm looking for some more unusual projects to build. Damn Count Top Five demo rabbit hole, I blame you.

I've made a few doombutters, an Arcadiator, and an Into The Unknown. They're all great, I need more :)

Any suggestions? What can I make to make my band mates roll their eyes?

Betty Wont

Uglyface, Vorg Warp Sound, Roland Funny Cat, Sample Hold, Crowther Prunes and Custard, Gristleizer. All good choices IMO.

Strategy

I mostly have built odd pedals...the stuff that's made it into permanent collection:
Madbean Doombutter
Prescription Experience
String Ringer (Lovetone Ring Stinger)
Maestro Ring Modulator (tough build)
4ms Noise Swash
Tim Escobedo stuff - PWM, Too Many Knobs (TMK), Thing Modulator, Bronx Cheer
PAIA Gator
various synth modules set up as pedals - Wasp VCF, Tau Pipe Phaser

zombie_rock123

Was the Prescription Experience stripboard or is there a pcb out there? Breadboarding the Thing Modulator was fun as hell, definitely recommended.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

raulduke

Quote from: Strategy on June 14, 2016, 08:37:56 AM

That sounds really cool  8)

Do you have more info on how you have integrated Synth/Modules into a guitar/pedal format?

matmosphere

Fantastic, I'm going to have to check out some of this stuff. The Funny Cat is one that I had thought about and forgotten. The sting ringer sound freaking fantastic. I've got the moog Ring Modulator it's great but that ring stinger...

Strategy

There's an old Greenfuz (?) layout out there...may be buried in diystompboxes or else use the internet archive wayback machine. Or PM me and I can send. I don't think the docs are error free I had a lot of debugging on mine
Was worth the trouble
Quote from: zombie_rock123 on June 14, 2016, 08:45:53 AM
Was the Prescription Experience stripboard or is there a pcb out there? Breadboarding the Thing Modulator was fun as hell, definitely recommended.

Strategy

The Wasp VCF is actually +9V supply, native to the circuit. There are many versions of that online for single sided board, try searching for the Fonik one. Also the Juergen Haible designed Tau Pipe Phaser is line level natively. Works fine as a pedal with a slight input boost. A lot of the Haible modules are conceived as rack units and not necessarily as part of modular synths.

Most synth modules take hot signals, 10vpp, so you need a circuit that amplifies the signal going into the module and then attenuates it coming out. There are some PCBs, not well known, that do this, like Cat Girl Synths (CGS) module #CGS60. Other than that you just wire up in the input output switching just like any pedal project, I think I usually use the GGG switching or Madbeans depending on my mood. The other trick is you need bipolar +15V supply. This is a typical synth supply but for a single audio processing circuit you really don't need the high current demands of a full modular synth power supply so you can get PCB or kit for small supplies. Elby in australia makes some kits with nice price and lots of power options. My favorite was Musicfromouterspace.com, but their sales are on hold right now because tragically the guy who does it is in treatment for cancer.

Right now I'm setting up a Serge Resonant Equalizer module as a pedal.

Quote from: raulduke on June 14, 2016, 09:02:56 AM
Quote from: Strategy on June 14, 2016, 08:37:56 AM

That sounds really cool  8)

Do you have more info on how you have integrated Synth/Modules into a guitar/pedal format?

Strategy

Because the moogerfooger has patch points for like LFO out, etc. you can connect the control voltages of your Moogerfooger together with the String Ringer. A lot of circuits do this now, including Electro-Harmonix and other Lovetone etc. The "Loveclone's" are complex builds with complex switching but worth it. Look for AlanP's projects on here. If you can patch together your Moogerfoogers and your other pedals you are in for a lot of fun as the different circuits interact together for complex modulations. You are at that point taking a modular synthesis approach to guitar....so fun

Quote from: Matmosphere on June 14, 2016, 11:20:04 AM
Fantastic, I'm going to have to check out some of this stuff. The Funny Cat is one that I had thought about and forgotten. The sting ringer sound freaking fantastic. I've got the moog Ring Modulator it's great but that ring stinger...

Matt

Low rider
Machine
Sharkfin
Q-zone
And many more
Matt

nzCdog

Mojo Fandangle

Great topic. I do love the weird stuff.

Pitch Pirate is probably the only one I haven't seen mentioned already (similar to the DoomButter)

Fuzz Factory is a good but obvious one. I've always wanted to try building one based on the Fuzz Probe with an LDR thingy attached to the Stab pot via a switch so you can switch between operating the Stability via either the regular knob adjustment or waving your foot over the exposed LDR or or one of those eye sensor things. Not sure of the science behind it but it seems faesible.
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally