News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shielded Cable?

Started by Orbis_Ignis, June 16, 2016, 11:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orbis_Ignis

I'm about to order parts for my second tube amp build and was wondering what is normally used as shielded cable. My first amp was just the little firefly, which was easier to build than a lot of pedals and it didn't call for shielded cable.  Anyway do you guys use coaxial cable for your sheilded cable? That seems to be all I can find except for the guitar cable they used in the old Gibsons with the shielding exposed on the outside of the cable.

stecykmi

if you are talking about RG6 cable, like the that you would use to hook up a TV, i suppose you could use it but you should just make the extra effort to get audio cable. RG6 isn't optimized for audio nor designed to be soldered anyway; its a crimp connection.

there are plenty of suppliers of the stuff, where are you located and what suppliers are you using?

Orbis_Ignis

I saw this type recommended http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Belden-Wire-Cable/8216-010100/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu2Wyq3DnRvIv0fr3DdgsIY

I didn't even think about looking at the specs. But you are correct it's not RG6. It's  RG-174/U. It just seems like a small gauge to me

Leevibe

Yep, that's good stuff. Small is good. PCB traces are even smaller. :)

Orbis_Ignis