News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NTPVTD

Started by Leevibe, June 16, 2016, 06:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

New tremmy, phasey, vibey thingy day. AKA - my friend gave me a Leslie module.

It's really fun running my 5E3 into it. It's got a 2 speed motor stack, which is cool. I love the way it sounds on slow. I don't know if I'm going to hang onto it or not, but it's fun to mess with. I doubt I'll get around to building a cab for it, but I may build a switching box for it.

Anyway, I know these things sell on craigslist all the time. I could never bring myself to pay for one, but free is a great price. At least it's an extra motor stack, belt, pulley I can use in the real leslie if I ever need to.

Aleph Null

I'm totally jealous. Played through a converted Leslie cabinet once (with a 15" JBL!) and almost had an existential crisis trying to figure out how to own one right then. Being in a room with a Leslie is a magical experience.

alanp

That's cool... there's a set of leslie guts in Dad's shed that we pulled from a stuffed organ waiting for a new home. Might have to get onto it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on June 17, 2016, 03:16:17 PM
That's cool... there's a set of leslie guts in Dad's shed that we pulled from a stuffed organ waiting for a new home. Might have to get onto it.

That's what this came from. It's Leslie branded too with the same motor stacks as my big Leslie cab. It's easy hookup. 2 leads for the speaker and 2 leads apiece for the AC motors. The slow speed really is to die for. Gorgeous. This one has a 10" ceramic speaker. I think some have smaller oval speakers that don't sound too hot.

lars

I have one of these as well that came out of a organ. They really do create a unique sound that's pretty much impossible to "digitize". One of the best things to try is hooking it up to a variac. Then instead of two speeds, you get many, many speeds. I've always thought if you could add a foot control to the variac, you could then have all kinds of ramp up and down goodness.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Leevibe

Quote from: lars on June 22, 2016, 08:52:13 AM
I have one of these as well that came out of a organ. They really do create a unique sound that's pretty much impossible to "digitize". One of the best things to try is hooking it up to a variac. Then instead of two speeds, you get many, many speeds. I've always thought if you could add a foot control to the variac, you could then have all kinds of ramp up and down goodness.

I see these things often on craigslist with rheostats hooked up to them, but I've heard it's tough on the motors. I think PWM control would provide the same result, but would keep the motors from burning out. For me, having 2 speeds is fine. I know with my Hammond M3/Leslie 145, the real magic is happening when things are speeding up and slowing down. Riding the switch makes for some pretty cool sounds.