News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD Telecaster YAY!

Started by galaxiex, June 18, 2016, 06:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galaxiex

Just picked this up from the local Long & McQuade.

Been jonesing for a Butterscotch Tele for some time now.
Finally took the plunge and bought a new one.
It's the FSR model MIM, weighs 7lb's 9oz and plays wonderful!  :)

Still want a "relic" version of this, might have to build one with stuff from MJT.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

gordo

Nice!  When I built mine, that's the look I was going for...one ply pickguard and vintage NOS.  THE telecaster look IMO.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

galaxiex

Quote from: gordo on June 18, 2016, 06:21:23 PM
Nice!  When I built mine, that's the look I was going for...one ply pickguard and vintage NOS.  THE telecaster look IMO.

Thanks!

Agree, that is THE Telecaster look! Love it!

You know, it's funny.....
back in 1991 I went shopping for a guitar after having decided to pick it up again after quitting/leaving music completely from the late 70's until then. (had a Sears Silvertone guitar as a teen in the early 70's, it's long gone....  :'(

At that time (1991) and before when I was a teen and attempting to play the guitar, I had decided that Tele's were ugly.
Even the sunburst one's, but especially the "blond" Tele's.
I just thought that was the ugliest guitar ever.....  :o

So I bought a (new in 1991) American standard brown sunburst maple neck Strat. Played the heck out of it.

Then at some point I started to look at, and think about.... Tele's....
Which led to buying a MIM Nashville Tele sunburst with rosewood board.
The Nashville became my "go to" guitar and I still play it, and it is my #1.
The Strat has become a "home practice" guitar....

So go figure.... now I love Tele's and can't get enough of em.  :)

What changed.... I don't know.... but now I may never have enough Tele's.
Heck, I may never have enough guitars period!

Want a Micawber "look alike" cuz our band now plays alot of Stones stuff and I do the Keef 5 string open G riffage thing.  :)

Oh and I did manage to find another Silvertone just like the one I had as a teen! Got 2 of them in fact!  :)

Sorry for getting so long winded.  :-[

Leevibe

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Too weird, my tele tale pretty much parallels. I thought tele's looked stupid and I spent the late 70's and early 80's touring with Lado's (I'm originally from Saskatoon) a strat, and a Gibson reissue ('77) LP Special.  I packed it in around 85, moved to Chicago to marry a hottie, got a real job, and left my gear to sit till 2001.  Started playing again and got the bug to build a guitar and the tele was first up on the radar.  The guitar is like an old pair of slippers.  Bonehead simple and capable of a crazy range on tones.  My only recommendation is that if you don't use the neck pickup a lot, take the cover off.  It's a whole nuther beast when it's naked.
Gordy Power

galaxiex

jimilee and Leevibe
Thanks for the comments! :)

@ gordo Thanks for the story!  :)

Strange how perceptions change over time, or maybe not so strange....

I grew up in Whitehorse, Yukon and had started my guitar journey there, as said, in the early 70's.
Late 70's moved to Edmonton and ditched the guitar and all musical aspirations then.
(lots of distress/trauma in my life then, I won't bore you with it)  ;)

Thanks for the suggestion re the neck pickup. I might give it a go.
I also have thoughts of stuffing a backwards humbucker in there ala Keith and wiring the tone pot as a blend.  8)

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

Try the cover removal before going humbucker.  Then set your amp brighter than normal and get used to using the tone control.  Pretty much any tone you need is in the two knobs on the tele.  Then get really whacky and put a buffer as the first pedal and do a volume control treble bleed.  My tele now spends most of it's time with the tone at about 50% and I can get bright or dark as needed.  I never use the middle setting, just neck or bridge.  Add an Afterlife or 4:1 (stupid good) and push your amp a bit harder from the front. Both those compressors will back down as you turn down the volume control on the guitar and you can get anywhere from country skank to snotty rip with just the volume.
Gordy Power

Orbis_Ignis

nice! I've always loved the butterscotch teles

blearyeyes

I have a dear friend that had an all orig 1959 Tele until some skumbag stole it from him. He didn't treat it like an investment but used it as a player and giged with it always. It was like he lost a family member. He was the head honcho for Guitar Player magazine for quite a while. Yours looks like I remember his looking. So I concur that your guitar has  "THE" tele look.  Classic.

Sweet Guitar!

lars

Great-looking guitar. IMO, strats also look good with the classic "Tele" color scheme...

blearyeyes

Wow Lars, a butterscotch Strat! That is beautiful!

galaxiex

Thanks Everyone!  :)

Lars, that is an AMAZING looking Strat!  8)

I didn't know they came like that!  :o

Arrrgh! Now I "need" one of those too!  ;)