News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Re: External Touches

Started by K3yPr0gg3r, June 26, 2016, 04:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

This question has to do with pedal protection AFTER painting. I'm planning on using Acrylic primer and paint for the enclosures I do paint. I may be doing some partial painted pedals, leaving the top bare metal if my decal has color in it. Anyway, a site called Planet Z has instructions on preping enclosures prior to painting, priming and painting the enclosure, setting a waterslide decal on the pedal, and adding a "clear" protective layer after. Additionally, I have seen Paul's videos, (DIYGuitarPedals.com), on painting, just wondered what other builders do.
The gentleman at Planet Z uses an InkJet to print his waterslides, then sprays Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear evenly over the surface of the decal prior to putting it in water so as to prevent decal from running. Once the decal is in place on the enclosure, he brushes on PolyAcrylic over the entire thing...up to 4 coats. His final step is to use paste finishing wax, and buff the surface for additional protection.
Again, just wondered what other builders do IF they use decals. I'd like to use them, especially around Pots, so users have an indication of volume, gain intensity, etc.
Thanks

matmosphere

I've used inkjet transparency paper in the past, but have never done waterslide. I print the image then spray the back (where the ink should be) with a thin layer of white spray paint. That way when it's flipped the image should be perfect with all the whites filled, and there is already a layer of protection against scratches. Then I put it into a bare enclosure using spray glue, and cover out with envirotex or spray lacquer. It doesn't look quiet as good as the water slide decals, but if you use envirotex it's pretty damn close.

EBRAddict

I've used laser waterslides in the past. I finished it with a couple spray lacquer coats.