News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave Dweller

Started by bamslam69, June 24, 2016, 08:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamslam69

Just bought a couple of Cave Dweller PCB's last night. One for myself and a mate.
Ordering parts, and the LM78L05 was near impossible to find. My question is would the L78L05 work in it's place?

Also couldn't find the right 9mm pots, so this one's using off-pcb pots and going in a slightly larger box. (more room for artwork, I tell myself).
Still residing in noob land.

BrianS

bamslam69

Oh... yeah...I dunno what I was thinking when I thought those ones wouldn't do, but it was late.

I'll just wait for the next discount code. ;)

bamslam69

Quote from: BrianS on June 25, 2016, 05:41:47 AM
Not sure if you have ever used Tayda but they have the pots for the build.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/rotary-potentiometer/linear/50k-ohm-linear-taper-potentiometer-round-shaft-pcb-9mm.html
Actually, looking again at the build guide for the Cave Dweller, the middle pot is mounted on the opposite side, so those right angle pots wouldn't work, unless you don't mind a pot on the underside of your pedal (if I'm thinking correctly).
I did look for straight pc mounts but they didn't have any for that value - There's always one thing missing, hey?

Anyway, pots are not the issue here, anyone got any opinion on the LM78L05 vs L78L05?
edit: I pretty much found the answer in this thread. http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=19982.15

Thanks in advance.

bamslam69

Well, it's mostly wired up. I gave it a test run yesterday on the breadboard before hardwiring.
Sounds sweet!
Had a few stuffups when ordering parts. Got a couple of oversized resistors and caps, mainly the 100nf in which 10 are needed. The ones I have are massive. Stupid me.
Lesson learnt for ordering stuff for the next pedal.

Next I have to drill and pretty-up the box.

m-Kresol

you'll get there over time. Ordering parts can be very confusing and frustrating in the beginning. We all went through that phase and it still happens to all of us. ordering wrong parts, wrong packaging, voltage rating etc.

I think going for a bigger box might be good at this point of your pedal career, 1590A builds are always challenging.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jimilee

Sounds like you're well on your way. It's one of my favorite multipurpose delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

bamslam69

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 30, 2016, 01:40:59 AM
you'll get there over time. Ordering parts can be very confusing and frustrating in the beginning. We all went through that phase and it still happens to all of us. ordering wrong parts, wrong packaging, voltage rating etc.

I think going for a bigger box might be good at this point of your pedal career, 1590A builds are always challenging.
Yes I was smart enough to order a 1590B. Definitely not confident just yet for the smaller box builds. :)
I'll post a pic of the final builds

BrianS

Dude I am sorry I directed you to those pots.  The last time I built one of the boards (civil war) that had an attached pot board those worked. I didn't realize they were straight in mounts until I went back and looked at the picture of the completed build. I am sure that someone has used the tayda ones and just bent the pins straight.  But I apologize for that.

m-Kresol

Quote from: BrianS on July 30, 2016, 07:58:16 PM
Dude I am sorry I directed you to those pots.  The last time I built one of the boards (civil war) that had an attached pot board those worked. I didn't realize they were straight in mounts until I went back and looked at the picture of the completed build. I am sure that someone has used the tayda ones and just bent the pins straight.  But I apologize for that.

you can bend the leads straight and snap of the tabs on the bottom. the problem is that the pins are getting wider towards the pot so you can't mount them flush with the pcb. I tried filing/dremeling them once and of course snapped one of the legs off. worked in the end, but it's a pain to do.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

bamslam69

Quote from: BrianS on July 30, 2016, 07:58:16 PM
No wuckers, mate.
I saw them and knew straight away they weren't gonna work. Thought about bending them, but for things that small, you have to do it right the very first time.
I ordered the larger, normal 16mm sizes (is that the diameter? pft, close enough. lets just say "the big ones").
It's all fun and games, and any obstacles you come across just exercises the grey matter.

bamslam69

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 31, 2016, 01:19:49 AM
you can bend the leads straight and snap of the tabs on the bottom. the problem is that the pins are getting wider towards the pot so you can't mount them flush with the pcb. I tried filing/dremeling them once and of course snapped one of the legs off. worked in the end, but it's a pain to do.
The tight-arse "dremel" I own would completely butcher the job.
It was easy enough to work out from the pdf and the schematic which pcb output goes to which pot.
I love my multimeter.

jimilee

Have you read Brian's baby board guide? Lots of great tips.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

bamslam69

Quote from: jimilee on August 01, 2016, 07:52:16 AM
Have you read Brian's baby board guide? Lots of great tips.

Oh yeah, it's good. I printed it out to stick in my notes. Dunno why I chose to do that at home, as I bled a full magenta cartridge dry. I only bought it last week. Waiting for my wife to realise. It's gonna be fun. (Why didn't I print it at work? Oh yeah this site is blocked there).

Anyway, the fun continues. Measure things up, drill holes, paint box, start shoving things in, and realise those big green capacitors I accidentally bought are so big the box won't close. And I could've drilled the jack holes a bit futher up the box. So thinking about it, I'm most probably gonna have to resolder a dozen capacitors.
[Insert choice swearword screamed in the backyard]
Oh well, I try to learn from my mistakes. Maybe I'll order some parts for a distortion pedal while I'm at it...

On the plus, the circuit sounds great test run on the breadboard.

jimilee

Nice, I  did that with my ex's color laser jet, she never could figure out why her cartridges didn't last.