News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eagle help - movement

Started by beneharris, June 27, 2016, 10:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beneharris

I've been playing around with eagle this morning, trying to lay out a board. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to make smaller movements to individual pieces on the board layout section. The board I'm setting up is 18x18mm, so fairly small. The parts just jump the entire way across the board. Is there a way to move them in smaller increments?

daleykd

Change your grid spacing.  It's like one of the first buttons on the toolbar.

beneharris

Ah, so you don't want that to be the same size as the board? Got it, thanks.

beneharris

That's what I needed, thanks a bunch.

daleykd

Glad I could help, man!  Good luck.

beneharris

Another question since the thread is started. What do you guys put for values on through holes? I keep getting errors saying all of mine have no value. I know that its not going to affect the actual board itself, but I'm curious as to the theory behind why it wants it.

gtr2

You need to name the value of the part in the schematic for the error to stop.  For example 100k for R1.

Also for the grid, the use of the alt key for a second grid spacing is helpful.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

beneharris

Quote from: gtr2 on June 27, 2016, 03:30:53 PM
You need to name the value of the part in the schematic for the error to stop.  For example 100k for R1.

Also for the grid, the use of the alt key for a second grid spacing is helpful.

Thanks for that ALT tip.

I get it on resistors and caps and such, but I'm getting errors on through holes. I guess I can't figure out what value it would be looking for on non-component items.

beneharris

Ah, well nevermind, really. I got the board uploaded and ordered. First one, so we'll see how it ends up coming out. Thanks for the help, fellas.

gtr2

An example or screenshot would help.  I don't understand what you are referring to tbh.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

beneharris

Sure, here you go. All of the errors are just through hole pads. I don't know if maybe I'm using the wrong item out of the library for a pad? OSH park had no issues with the board, and its being fabbed, so it certainly isn't a major issue.

daleykd