News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Autodesk buys Eaglecad?

Started by electrosonic, June 28, 2016, 05:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBRAddict

$100 a year isn't reasonable when I bought a lifetime subscription for under $200 just last year.

Edit: I just saw that the version with more than 2 layers (I just started making 4 layer boards) is $500 a year.

EBRAddict

Well it's official:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/eagle-quot-non-commercial-maker-license-quot/td-p/6816477

Continue using your Make License for your current version of EAGLE.  If you wish to use EAGLE v8, consider investing on the EAGLE Standard Edition [ed: $500 per year] which is the option that closest matches the Maker License, this subscription provides you a board size limitation of 160cm^2.
Best Regards,
Ed

FUCK. THAT.

I'm not paying BMW prices for a re-badged Chrysler minivan

madbean

Quote from: EBRAddict on January 19, 2017, 05:56:33 PM
$100 a year isn't reasonable when I bought a lifetime subscription for under $200 just last year.

Your current license is not invalidated, but you won't get any further software upgrades without a subscription (8, 8.1, etc). At least this is how I understand the situation.

add4

So the question is: what are the alternatives if it goes badly?
rullywowr weren't you using another software?

jkokura

anyone have the .dmg files for 7? I haven't looked for them yet, but I was thinking about making my edition current, but not if I have to go up to 8.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Jacob -  http://web.cadsoft.de/ftp/eagle/program/7.7/eagle-mac64-7.7.0.zip

According to the forum, they will be doing a promotion for legacy users. So, I'm going to wait and see. I spent something like $500-600 on my current license and frankly I could use 7.7 indefinitely as far as PCB design for pedals. But if they are going to actively develop Eagle it might be worth an upgrade. I just don't have a lot of optimism when Autodesk is involved.

QuoteIt is perpetual, you can continue to use EAGLE V7 for all eternity if you wish without ever spending another cent. It hasn't been wasted, as an existing customer you are entitled to special pricing for the V8 subscription.

AntKnee

I've never ued Eagle but I make my living as a cad draftsman and have used autodesk products for decades. Their licensing can be a pain sometimes, but their support and software tools make my job easier with each new release. It may take a while for them to get it together, but it will likely be beneficial.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

EBRAddict

Quote from: AntKnee on January 20, 2017, 02:16:14 AM
I've never ued Eagle but I make my living as a cad draftsman and have used autodesk products for decades. Their licensing can be a pain sometimes, but their support and software tools make my job easier with each new release. It may take a while for them to get it together, but it will likely be beneficial.

For a person who uses the product every day the price increases and subscription are trivial when the cost is spread across all the work they do.  I'd assume that these costs are then eventually passed on in the form of higher fees to their customer.

What irks me as a guy who uses the product a few hours a week is that my cost per project would go up considerably--with absolutely no benefit in productivity.

EBRAddict

Just a FYI, if you upgrade to v8 your 7.7 license is void (from Hackaday):

If you ever upgrade to Eagle 8.0, you cannot legally let your subscription lapse and go back to your previously purchased Eagle 7.7.0 license:

"1.2.1 Effect of Upgrades. If Autodesk or a Reseller provides Licensee with an Upgrade to other Licensed Materials previously licensed to Licensee, the Licensed Materials previously licensed to Licensee and any other Autodesk Materials relating thereto will thereafter be deemed to be a "Previous Version." Except as set forth in Section 1.2.2 (Exception for Relationship Program Licensees), the license grant and other rights with respect to any Previous Version will terminate one hundred twenty (120) days after Installation of the Upgrade. Within such one hundred twenty (120) day period, except as set forth in Section 1.2.2 (Exception for Relationship Program Licensees), (a) Licensee must cease all use of any Previous Version and Uninstall all copies of the Previous Version, and (b) upon expiration of such period, such Previous Version will no longer constitute Licensed Materials but rather will be deemed to be Excluded Materials and Licensee will no longer have a license for any such Previous Version. At Autodesk's request, Licensee agrees to destroy or return to Autodesk or the Reseller from which they were acquired all copies of the Previous Version. Autodesk reserves the right to require Licensee to show satisfactory proof that all copies of any Previous Version have been Uninstalled and, if so requested by Autodesk, destroyed or returned to Autodesk or the Reseller from which they were acquired."

Perhaps the promotion for existing users will be a tube of Astroglide?

gtr2

You could say that for all the subscription based models though...and tbh the cost isn't unreasonable.

I'm not very happy at the moment either as I just spent 1,100 last year on the premium version for the contract design work I do.
But...I am hopeful that there are some significant improvements in the future.  The circuit modules are a nice step and the allowable board dimension changes.   3D modeling integration is what I'm hopeful for.  Given how the last licensing model was set up, it stopped many people from upgrading and in turn used the free version or maker for commercial work, or using other tools.  This I'm sure hurt cash flow and in turn Eagle has pretty much stayed stagnate for a very long time, minus some new features.  The new model gives cash flow and hopefully continual upgrades to the workflow.

I would prefer to use Altium at this point but that is about 7-8k last time I checked and then you pay a yearly fee to stay up to date which is $300/yr?  It's not even justifiable.

For most uses for the pedal dudes, $15 a month is perfectly reasonable for something, even at a hobby level.  I pay $30 a month for adobe products which is a joke IMO.  I use Autodesk Fusion 360 for modeling and drill plots and I'm excited on what the integration of the future will be as clients want 3D models, which is currently a bear in eagle without using lots of workarounds IMO.

Here's to the future Eagle!  I'm excited for whats to come. (and just a little frustrated)

Josh

Hmm...I don't like that post from hackaday....I don't see how they can take something you already bought and paid for.  Now I'm a little miffed...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Not surprised at all about the forfeiture of license when you upgrade. Exactly the kind of thing I expect from AD. Once you upgrade you are on the hook forever.

alanp

Subscription models for computer programs always stick in my craw.

The only real exception is for client-server multi-user stuff, like Steam, or World of Warcraft, where it makes sense. You're paying for access to Valve or Blizzard's servers.

But for stand-alone programs which never, ever need to phone home, it feels like a cash grab.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

Quote from: madbean on January 19, 2017, 11:11:38 PM
Jacob -  http://web.cadsoft.de/ftp/eagle/program/7.7/eagle-mac64-7.7.0.zip

According to the forum, they will be doing a promotion for legacy users. So, I'm going to wait and see. I spent something like $500-600 on my current license and frankly I could use 7.7 indefinitely as far as PCB design for pedals. But if they are going to actively develop Eagle it might be worth an upgrade. I just don't have a lot of optimism when Autodesk is involved.

QuoteIt is perpetual, you can continue to use EAGLE V7 for all eternity if you wish without ever spending another cent. It hasn't been wasted, as an existing customer you are entitled to special pricing for the V8 subscription.

Thanks Dude.

For my 2 cents - I will never upgrade from what i have here from Eagle unless it's less than $60 per year. I can pay up to $5 per month, but after that I may as well learn new software.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

culturejam

Looks like we've got some time to get sharp on other software.

DipTrace? Seems like the best of the bunch for the non-professional options ($$$).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects