News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SUNN 200s Preamp question

Started by John S, June 30, 2016, 06:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

1. Can I use a 220uF in place of the 250uF?
2. Which diodes can be used instead of the BAT85?

Schenkenstein custom effects. Check out the page on Facebook.

Drew Hallenbeck

I would think you're probably fine with the cap substitution. Typical tolerance range for those is around 20% so that would put the 250uF cap in the range of 200-300. If you have a meter that can test capacitance just check your 220uF caps to find one as close to 250 as possible.
Another option (if you have the space for it) would be to connect a 100uF and a 150uF in parallel. I've done this in a pinch before. If you don't have room on the component side of your board, you could always bodge the second cap in laying down on the opposite side.
Could always use the "socket and see" method too. Try a few different values and let your ears be the judge.

Without looking at a datasheet, I'm not too sure about a substitute for the diodes..........
I'm sure there are plenty of options though, maybe someone else can fire off some ideas?
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Drew Hallenbeck

Just compared datasheets and it looks like a BAT46 should work just fine.
Also checked the fairly common 1N5817 and that looks like it could be a suitable candidate.
I have some of both in my stash if you don't have any. If you're in the states and need a couple I'd be happy to send them your way. Just PM me with your address and I'll stick em in the mail.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

John S

Cool. I'll check and see what else I have in my diode stash. I'll get back with you if I'm in need. Thanks so much
Schenkenstein custom effects. Check out the page on Facebook.