News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Golden Scarab (Tenebrion reverb)

Started by Aleph Null, July 08, 2016, 04:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

This is my Grind Customs FX Tenebrion reverb with some additions. I used a long Belton Brick. All other values are stock.

The "swell" switch momentarily bypasses the R11 in the feedback loop and maxes the "dwell" control by shorting the 2 and 3 legs to create self oscillation. The speed of the swell is highly dependent on the "reverb" knob, so I didn't feel the need to add an additional control. I may eventually add an internal trim pot to fine tune the response of the "reverb" knob in "swell" mode.

I would have preferred to make these connections to the bottom of the board, but the Belton brick covers them.

The scarab ended up looking a little distressed due to my poor application technique, but I actually like the end result; it looks more like an Egyption relic this way.

Around nine o' clock on the "reverb" knob infinite sustain starts (with "swell" engaged). Anything past one or two o' clock gets out of hand pretty fast. The "tone" knob can have a surprising effect on the quality of the self oscillation. "Tone" all way up and "reverb" low creates a passable shimmer effect. "Tone" down and "reverb" up sounds like a runaway delay.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jimilee

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Martan

marmora

Super cool looking. Great photos too. That mod makes the Belton brick reverbs appealing

tcpoint

Leevibe

mrclean77

I dig the gold with the black knobs/graphic...swell switch is slick.

Boba7

That's great, I really like it!
In my build I lowered R11 and had a footswitch that just connected lug 2 and 3 of the feedback pot. I'll try your idea in a future build!
Great job!

m-Kresol

That turned out great. I really like your graphics and the swell control.

One suggestion for the later in case you do it again. For cosmetic reasons you could have just left R11 out and hook up the switch to the pads. Then solder the resistor between the switches legs. Should look cleaner. Again, just a cosmetic thing.  ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

flanagan0718

Great build. The graphics remind me of the Saosin album!

Aleph Null

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 12, 2016, 07:59:08 AM
That turned out great. I really like your graphics and the swell control.

One suggestion for the later in case you do it again. For cosmetic reasons you could have just left R11 out and hook up the switch to the pads. Then solder the resistor between the switches legs. Should look cleaner. Again, just a cosmetic thing.  ;)

I definitely considered this. This is actually a re-house, so the PCB was already populated. The Belton Brick sits over one of the R11 solder pads and I didn't want to risk melting anything trying to remove it.

Were I to build from scratch, I would add an external "sensitivity" knob to fine tune the swell function and also a master volume (understand there's actually a fair amount of gain on tap), maybe even a simple clipping stage at the end for maximal shoe-gaze goodness.

Aleph Null

Thanks for all the kind words.

Quote from: flanagan0718 on July 12, 2016, 02:54:40 PM

Yeah! I should listen to that album again.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Aleph Null on July 12, 2016, 04:51:44 PM
Thanks for all the kind words.

Quote from: flanagan0718 on July 12, 2016, 02:54:40 PM

Yeah! I should listen to that album again.

It's a good one. IMHO I don't like Anthony Green. I think Cove was way better. But,...opinions and all that. Fantastic build!

nzCdog

Oh yeah! Nice build, love the graphics and cool idea with the swell switch