News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Custom strat wiring - 3 way from hell - help!

Started by Jopn, July 11, 2016, 11:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopn

Not *that* kind of 3-way... move along...

Ok, as an obsessive mod/tweak type of person (sympathizers anyone?) my strat is a SSH with coil tap on the H and switches to allow for almost ever type of pickup combination imaginable. It's been fun.

But it's time for me to take what I've learned from using all these options and realize that there's really 3 settings that I use 99% of the time. So I'm going to buy a new pickguard that hasn't been turned into swiss cheese yet, and set up just a 3 way switch with those settings. I hope.

Here's the trick(s):
I want 2 volumes and 1 master tone. One volume dedicated to the humbucker, and the other shared between the neck and middle.
I want the switch positions to be:
1: Bridge
2: Neck + Middle
3: Neck

I feel I have a really good handle on switching most of the time, but this one is just blowing my mind. So I'm here to either bow to the hive-mind as you take me to school, or blow all your collective minds as well and declare that it can't be done.

Here's my initial notes:

But I think I may have to go the route of a dual-gang for the Volume 1 (neck and middle), so I can perform all the volume before the switch.  If I do that, then I think all I'm left with is figuring out how to get the neck+middle on in the middle position.

I know I could very easily accomplish the sounds I'm looking for by adding another switch (like push/pull on the V2 to have the neck always on, etc) but I'd REALLY like to keep the controls dead simple as outlined.

so.... help?

jball85

TDPRI.com will give this request more attention. They've got lots of 3-way wiring guru's to boot.