News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New tutorial - prototyping rig

Started by madbean, July 17, 2016, 06:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

There are already several prototyping rig tutorials on here and I don't expect mine will add much that's new. But, I think it's important to have for the website. So, here is the new tutorial (also linked on the Tutorials webpage).
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/Making_a_Prototyping_Rig.pdf

Ralfg

This is awesome!  Thanks for this.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

midwayfair

That audio probe is one of the cleverest things I've seen.

culturejam

That's some McGyver shit with that audio probe.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

BrianS

And as I was going to ask some questions you were way ahead of me.  Thanks for this.

Boba7

That audio probe is awesome!! Thanks a lot.

selfdestroyer

SO cool Brian, thanks for sharing the process. Its about time I upgrade my cutting board rig and this looks perfect.

Cody

madbean

Just out of curiosity - if I were to make a few (much better/professional looking) audio probes for sale inexpensively would anyone be interested? Not that I am discouraging the DIY aspect of this because it's easy to make what I showed in the tutorial. I'm thinking something that looks more like an actual tool.

daleykd

Quote from: madbean on July 18, 2016, 10:59:19 AM
Just out of curiosity - if I were to make a few (much better/professional looking) audio probes for sale inexpensively would anyone be interested? Not that I am discouraging the DIY aspect of this because it's easy to make what I showed in the tutorial. I'm thinking something that looks more like an actual tool.
Yes, please!  With a banana plug on one side so it works with my Effects Tester Mk II. :)

lincolnic

I'd seriously consider it. My audio probe is the first thing I ever soldered, and I've been too lazy to make a better one.

somnif

I use a spare probe off a DMM (my local electronics store had a bin of them for 50 cents a piece) as an audio probe.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing it this way? I just chose it because it was cheap and accessible, not because of actual technical know-how.

madbean

Quote from: somnif on July 18, 2016, 07:55:48 PM
I use a spare probe off a DMM (my local electronics store had a bin of them for 50 cents a piece) as an audio probe.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing it this way? I just chose it because it was cheap and accessible, not because of actual technical know-how.

No advantage other than it only required what I had laying around the house. But, using a DMM probe is also a perfect solution.

daleykd

Quote from: somnif on July 18, 2016, 07:55:48 PM

This is what I want to do.  Problem for me is finding a cheap set that fits a binding post (banana plug).  All the new ones seem to be more female than male.

beneharris

It never even hit me to add a road rage to my prototype rig. I just had it set up for +9v. I'll be doing that, for sure now. Thanks!