News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wasn't sure where to put these: Nixie action

Started by juansolo, July 21, 2016, 04:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

I've been quiet of late as I've been away a bit on holiday and wotnot. Also I've been making some other bits and bobs rather than effects. I thought I'd post them up here as they're relevant to DIY in that they're DIY Nixie clocks.

All the clock kits are from PV Electronics in the UK.

Clock of Awesome III and V
This is one classy clock. It uses the same 'direct drive' as CoA1 and a similar array of features. So it's big, beautiful and silent.

I've made a couple of these. One for myself to replace CoA2, and one for Nick7, another total Nixie whore.

Nick's is on a Bad Nixie trestle stand, mine is in a PV Electronics Stainless Steel case.

Clock of Awesome IV

Interesting one this. Halo nixies are really cheap, seeimingly that's because they're a bit patchy. I've had to buy two sets to get one fully working set out of them. Also this isn't a silent clock like CoA3, but it's not a high pitched whine like CoA2. It's certainly tolerable.

It does look cool as hell though in the flesh. I've got the LEDs turned on because it really looks good on this (might back the levels off a little) and the blinkers off because I'm not as bothered for those. But otherwise, another awesome nixie clock.

Clock of Awesome VI

I just fancied doing something a little different. So this is in PVE's copper-style (actually milled aluminium that's anodised a copper colour) enclosure and the nixes are Telefunken ZM1210.

The nixies are super classy. They have a fine mesh grille unlike the big hex grilles the Russian nixies tend to have. They're also coated orange. The coating can be removed but I thought it went well with the enclosure so decided to leave it on in the end.

Another silent clock. I've got a slight issue with the dimmed night mode, which Pete is looking into. It just might be something the Telefunken's don't like. Which is no bother as I've just disabled that for now.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Aristatertotle

matmosphere

juansolo

All the pics are clickable for embiggenment also. Which is worthwhile as it gets a bit more of the detail in the tubes.

Adam_DIY

Wow they look excellent.  I've been looking at nixie kits for a while now what's the level of skill required to make one vs regular pedal building John? 

I've been tempted to try and make one as a Christmas present for Mrs_MD.

atreidesheir

You always make me think and plan.
great stuff!
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

juansolo

They're up there with a complex pedal build I'd say. You're also dealing with big voltages to that can bite if you touch something you shouldn't when it's powered up, so the same sort of caution should be taken that you would with say a tube based pedal.

The main downside is cost. The bigger nixes are VERY expensive. All up with the kit from PVE, the nixies from the Ukraine and the trestle stand, that top one came in at around 500 UKP (It's a big 'un). The bottom one that I've just finished, which is much smaller, came in at 200 UKP.

Also you need to be careful as some kits can be noisy. It's all to do with how the nixes are driven. My original big Nixie clock emitted a very high pitched whine that in the end I couldn't tolerate any more. The new ones (all the above except the Halo clock) are direct drive types and are completely silent.

Also nixies themselves aren't without their problems. IN-18s (used in the big clocks) are prone to cathode poisoning. Indeed 3 of the 6 in my clock have signs of it. I've shuffled them around in the clock so it's pretty much unnoticeable. But it's still there, and let's not forget that these tubes are very costly and are only getting more and more rare (they stopped making them in the early 90's). The Halo nixies are known to be flakey as hell, but they cost peanuts, so you can buy a few sets of those no probs. It took me buying two full sets to make one fully working set. Finally I've got a weird problem with the bottom clock when running in dimmed mode, which might be something to do with the odd nixies I've used. It's not a problem as I've just disabled the low power setting. But again, it shows that the tech is old and a bit wobbly ;)

Adam_DIY

Cheers I'll shelve that idea for a bit until I've a lot more experience  :D

markeprice

I'm jealous!  I love nixie clocks but haven't had the guts (or time) to build one.  I do have a nixie type power supply PCB I created which is stand alone.  It can put out around 200VDC at 20ma.  I used the same design in my Frog Tube Preamp PCB and it is very reliable.  Looks like these power supplies were built into the Nixie Clock board though.  What is the total heater current on a typical nixie clock?
Cuz they's made for Giggin!
Mark Price: owner frogpedals.com

juansolo

Quote from: markeprice on July 22, 2016, 04:00:38 PM
I'm jealous!  I love nixie clocks but haven't had the guts (or time) to build one.  I do have a nixie type power supply PCB I created which is stand alone.  It can put out around 200VDC at 20ma.  I used the same design in my Frog Tube Preamp PCB and it is very reliable.  Looks like these power supplies were built into the Nixie Clock board though.  What is the total heater current on a typical nixie clock?

They're cold cathode, so no heater. They're more like neon bulbs than thermionic valves. They don't get hot at all.

The PSU we use for valve pedals is essentially a beefed up nixie supply. The nixie clocks draw very little current.

markeprice

Very cool.  Thanks.  Maybe that can be a winter project!  After all my other projects....
Cuz they's made for Giggin!
Mark Price: owner frogpedals.com

chromesphere

Saw your video a few days ago John, that is kick ass!

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

nzCdog