News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

WIGL - Squeal

Started by daleykd, July 24, 2016, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daleykd

Just finished boxing up my WIGL today.  Alone, it sounds perfect.  However, I tried a few different effects in front of it, and as soon as I turn on the WIGL, it squeals something awful and kills my ears.

Any ideas what may cause this?  Where do I even being to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Kyle

daleykd

Additional information:
I tried a STUTR, PING, and GLAM in front of it.  I also tried different patch cables.

Also, when I say squeal, it definitely is that, but it also squeals with the speed and depth of the vibe.

madbean

I'm not gonna lie - I have no earthly idea what would cause that. Here are some guesses -

Are you using an isolated power supply or sharing power with other effects? If sharing try using an isolated on the WIGL as an experiment to see if that fixes the problem. I would be surprised because I use a One Spot to power all my 1590G pedals (you can see from the demo video), but it is at least a possible cause.

Secondly, are you positive that you have used 10M for R1 and R2 and 47k for R3 and R4? Any chance those values got swapped on any of them?

Lastly, anything weird on the voltages of IC1 and 2?

daleykd

Quote from: madbean on July 25, 2016, 04:28:29 PM
I'm not gonna lie - I have no earthly idea what would cause that. Here are some guesses -

Are you using an isolated power supply or sharing power with other effects? If sharing try using an isolated on the WIGL as an experiment to see if that fixes the problem. I would be surprised because I use a One Spot to power all my 1590G pedals (you can see from the demo video), but it is at least a possible cause.

Secondly, are you positive that you have used 10M for R1 and R2 and 47k for R3 and R4? Any chance those values got swapped on any of them?

All great questions.

I'm using a Joyo power brick.  Definitely not isolated.  I'll try both my 1Spot and 9V batteries.

I'll investigate when I get home tonight.  Definitely an oddity, especially when it sounds SO wonderful alone.

daleykd

These are verified as correct.

Nope.  Everything seems almost the same as yours.  IC1:3 is 2.1V instead of 2.55V.

Um, so.... go figure.  It works today.  I only added some black Sharpie to the LEDs and slightly twisted the input jack.  Case... closed?

madbean

Something in your signal chain could be microphonic which is getting amplified in that particular order of pedals. Don't fix what isn't broken right now but if it comes back let us know.

daleykd

Quote from: madbean on July 25, 2016, 10:54:42 PM
Something in your signal chain could be microphonic which is getting amplified in that particular order of pedals. Don't fix what isn't broken right now but if it comes back let us know.
Could be.  Problem is, my signal chain is: Epiphone Les Paul, STUTR, WIGL, amp.  :)  But yeah, I'm not gonna touch it.

Thanks, B, for your responses!

gordo

Maybe it's a magical sharpie?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?