News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pro Tip: Drilling Aluminum Enclosures

Started by rullywowr, July 27, 2016, 10:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Thanks all.  I'd be interested to see what you think when you try it.

Quote from: neandrewthal on July 28, 2016, 06:50:40 AM
I don't know if I'm just using some extra soft enclosures, but I have a drill press plus a set of cheap brass coloured stepping bits (I think I paid $5 or $10 for a pack of 3) and it just goes literally like butter with no lube. It doesn't make metal spirals either like the 1/8 inch aluminium synth panels I used to drill. It just turns the aluminium almost to dust.

At first, they all start this way.  Then the heat build up leads to galling and soon the edge gets dull.

Quote from: chromesphere on July 27, 2016, 07:26:04 PM
Good tip Ben!  I resharpen my step bits.  I've been using the same 3 bits for 6+ years.  The fluting on the bit is quite large so its easy to get in there with a flat file and resharpen the edge.  Works for me!

That's awesome. I am going to have to try this on some of mine!

Quote from: thesmokingman on July 27, 2016, 01:41:56 PM
there's also something to be said for reading the owner's manual for your drill press and choosing the appropriate speed setting for the material you're working.

Very true.  With metal its almost always, "Slow speed.  Slow feed."  Reminds me of shop class in school.

Quote from: daleykd on July 27, 2016, 12:25:39 PM
Some people have suggested using vegetable oil + water.  I haven't tried this yet.

I use the TiNi (I THINK) stuff on my step bits, and they still get aluminum stuck on them quite often.  I'm constantly having to pry off the 'melted' aluminum.

I'm sure the Veg oil will work fine.  It's just a pain to ensure you clean off every last bit before you are painting/coating otherwise you can  run into issues with that.

Quote from: selfdestroyer on July 27, 2016, 02:48:09 PM
Awesome tip. Looks like I need one of these next to my drill press:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JE6AWU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=GS578GCN9BYH&coliid=I2SV56YL43KQ3P&psc=1

Cody

That will work but is a bit too small for my taste.  Something like these is the ticket.  I use these cheap containers for Iso, Naptha, and Simple Green around the bench.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-3-8-oz-storage-bottles-with-twist-caps-66170.html

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

markeprice

I am having the same problem.  I thought there would be a good way, but didn't want to use a grease or oil!  Thanks!
Cuz they's made for Giggin!
Mark Price: owner frogpedals.com

rullywowr

I just drilled 325 holes last night using the iso and it worked out wonderfully.  There was minimal clogging of the flute of the step bit which I was able to knock off easily.  I kept checking the bit temp and it was cool to the touch.  An added bonus is that the chips seem to stay closer to the hole due to being wet.

I found that when I use a center punch I like to mark the punch marks with a dab of felt tip marker (sharpie).  The iso makes the sharpie smear so I found a good idea was to use my 1/8" drill to just start the hole without any iso.  I don't go all the way through.  Once all the little "divots" are made then I drill normally all the way through and apply iso all over the hole and bit.  When enlarging the hole with the bit (especially larger holes for 3PDT and DC jacks) I squirt a little on the hole and then up the bit. 

I'm sure I'm overthinking/overexplaining this but just wanted to share my experience. 

EBRAddict

Are you squirting the iso on the bit before you start or on the enclosure where you are going to drill? Sounds like from the Sharpie part you are applying it to the enclosure before drilling.

rullywowr

Quote from: EBRAddict on July 29, 2016, 01:40:53 PM
Are you squirting the iso on the bit before you start or on the enclosure where you are going to drill? Sounds like from the Sharpie part you are applying it to the enclosure before drilling.

Because the Sharpie runs in the iso, i'm just "kissing" the surface with the bit without iso to make a nice divot where the punch mark is.  After all the marks are now little divots (for that side) I'm then drilling all the way through with the iso. 

You can certainly not use Sharpie at all (just harder to see the punch marks).

alanp

How deep is your center punch? When I center punch enclosures, it's clearly visible with no vivid marker needed.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

markeprice

325 holes?  What are you doing?  That is a ton of enclosures!

markeprice

325 holes?  What are you doing?  That is a ton of enclosures!

m-Kresol

Quote from: alanp on July 29, 2016, 02:39:53 PM
How deep is your center punch? When I center punch enclosures, it's clearly visible with no vivid marker needed.

when I did an enclosure with my brother, he center punched so hard that the enclosure's surface was literally curved around it in a 1cm radius. He's not used to working with aluminum.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

davent

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 30, 2016, 01:51:01 AM
Quote from: alanp on July 29, 2016, 02:39:53 PM

when I did an enclosure with my brother, he center punched so hard that the enclosure's surface was literally curved around it in a 1cm radius. He's not used to working with aluminum.

Might be wise to use a block of would to support the enclosure face being center punched, also when trying to bashing in lettering with letter punches.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

rullywowr

Damn, I just use a spring center punch...

Aristatertotle

Just drilled a couple of enclosures using this method. Worked really well! Having a little squirt bottle would definitely be nice to use.

mrclean77

I've used iso for paint prep, after drilling, etc, but yeah, never thought to use it in this way. I will absolutely try to use a flat file and save my cheapie step bits as well....I get more life out of them than I ever thought I would, but still can't hurt to try to stretch it out.

Anybody: What if you used the iso AFTER powdercoat? How bad would you goober up the coat??? TIA

galaxiex

Quote from: mrclean77 on August 01, 2016, 04:25:12 AM
I've used iso for paint prep, after drilling, etc, but yeah, never thought to use it in this way. I will absolutely try to use a flat file and save my cheapie step bits as well....I get more life out of them than I ever thought I would, but still can't hurt to try to stretch it out.

Anybody: What if you used the iso AFTER powdercoat? How bad would you goober up the coat??? TIA

Not much experience with powder coat but what little I have, I think the iso would not hurt it at all.

The stuff is fairly bullet proof, tho I'm sure there must be some chems that will booger it up.

I could be wrong....
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

BrianS

Drilled an enclosure last night and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Used a q-tip (no squirt bottle), swabbed my old step bit and it cut like new.  Thanks Ben.