News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Vinyl Day (NVD)

Started by flanagan0718, July 27, 2016, 10:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Second largest pressing plant in North America is opening ~20 minutes from here next month. All new equipment made in Europe.

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/vinyl_pressing_plant_set_to_open_in_burlington_ontario

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

flanagan0718

Quote from: dan.schumaker on July 28, 2016, 09:03:46 AM
Glad to see a vinyl thread going :)  I've been into it for about 10 years now (I like to think I got into it before it got popular again  ;) )

Honestly I am such an old kermudgen at heart i had no idea it was popular. Hipsters and social media are not my forte, and i tend to stay away from them both.  ;)

alanp

Records are also good for old recordings as well -- I've got Handel's _Feuerwerksmusic_ (sp?) and Sibelius' _Finlandia_ on LP, as well as a few others like _Swinging Safari_.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

matmosphere

An old friend from high school has been doing this website with his wife for years now. I really like the concept, but since I have very little time to follow current music I don't read it often these days.

http://www.turntablekitchen.com

I remember I started buying vinyl because of how cheap it got in the late nineties. I found a copy of a Jon Spencer album I had been trying to find for $4. A few weeks later I picked up nice copies of all the Zep albums and a few Beatles ones for a couple bucks each and kept going from there. I can't imagine not having some of the T-Rex, Thin Lizzy, Devo, Chuck Berry and coutless others that I picked up because they were just a dollar or two in some dusty used bin in the back of some record store or thrift shop.  Then I realized that new albums I wanted were $13 on cd an $10 on vinyl, miss those days. No everything is ultra deluxe and expensive, which is nice in a way, but not as much fun.

flanagan0718

My Grandparents recently moved and gave me 2 rubbermaid containers full of old LPs and 45s. everything from World War II stories, Arthur fiedler records, to the star wars sound track. lots of jems!

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 28, 2016, 11:12:48 AM
No everything is ultra deluxe and expensive, which is nice in a way, but not as much fun.

I don't know, this is pretty fun...

and it was only $21

neandrewthal

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 28, 2016, 11:12:48 AM
I remember I started buying vinyl because of how cheap it got in the late nineties. I found a copy of a Jon Spencer album I had been trying to find for $4. A few weeks later I picked up nice copies of all the Zep albums and a few Beatles ones for a couple bucks each and kept going from there. I can't imagine not having some of the T-Rex, Thin Lizzy, Devo, Chuck Berry and coutless others that I picked up because they were just a dollar or two in some dusty used bin in the back of some record store or thrift shop.  Then I realized that new albums I wanted were $13 on cd an $10 on vinyl, miss those days. No everything is ultra deluxe and expensive, which is nice in a way, but not as much fun.

Same here except it was about 2000 and I was a 13 year old who got his money from a paper route. I would NOT start a record collection today. I'm lucky to have got the Beatles Zep and Pink Floyd classics for a buck or two a piece too. Can't beat The White Album on White Vinyl for $1. I got my best finds asking around at yard sales where the people didn't even think of putting their old vinyl out for sale.

That said I am always discover new (to me) old music that I wish I could have got while the pickings were good. Just a couple years ago I was collecting Eno and Bowie albums for $5-10 each but I am missing a few. Now they want $50 For Hunky Dory or Another Green World? Yikes. That's where new remasters come in but those are rising in price too. Those can be hit or miss, but when they hit (I upgraded my entire Depeche Mode and Smiths discographies even though I had the originals) they sound SO much better than the old cheap flimsy tinny sounding discs.

My tastes change too, which is another reason I'm not set ofr life with all my old records. I just got my first soul album the other day (I always hated soul for the longest time) and If I continue to go down that path I will regret that I didn't do it sooner. I am always meaning to get more into classical too. Maybe I should snatch up all those ones that are still in thrift stores before they are $100 each  :o

matmosphere

Quote from: flanagan0718 on July 28, 2016, 11:25:34 AM
I don't know, this is pretty fun...

and it was only $21

Agreed, that is pretty fun! Don't get me wrong I'm happy that vinyl has made such a huge comeback, I just miss the days when I could find a copy of Revolver that cost $3 instead of $20. I will tell you one thing I'll never miss.. CD jewel cases.

This was a good way to spend five bucks. The kids love this one.

Quote from: neandrewthal on July 28, 2016, 12:00:39 PM
Same here except it was about 2000 and I was a 13 year old who got his money from a paper route. I would NOT start a record collection today. I'm lucky to have got the Beatles Zep and Pink Floyd classics for a buck or two a piece too. Can't beat The White Album on White Vinyl for $1. I got my best finds asking around at yard sales where the people didn't even think of putting their old vinyl out for sale.

That said I am always discover new (to me) old music that I wish I could have got while the pickings were good. Just a couple years ago I was collecting Eno and Bowie albums for $5-10 each but I am missing a few. Now they want $50 For Hunky Dory or Another Green World? Yikes. That's where new remasters come in but those are rising in price too. Those can be hit or miss, but when they hit (I upgraded my entire Depeche Mode and Smiths discographies even though I had the originals) they sound SO much better than the old cheap flimsy tinny sounding discs.

My tastes change too, which is another reason I'm not set ofr life with all my old records. I just got my first soul album the other day (I always hated soul for the longest time) and If I continue to go down that path I will regret that I didn't do it sooner. I am always meaning to get more into classical too. Maybe I should snatch up all those ones that are still in thrift stores before they are $100 each  :o

Yeah, the late 90s to early '00s were a great time to get into because everything was so cheap. If only I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have had to spend all that money on Stooges and Tom Waits albums.

galaxiex

I never got rid of my vinyl.... Still have it all.... 300+ albums.  :)
Mostly classic rock 60's and 70's but I collected into the 80's as well.
Most of it is in good to pristine condition except the album sleeves are starting to show some wear.

I digitized some of it (obscure albums) that may never be re-released.
Used a R/Shack battery powered phono pre-amp direct to my sound card from my Technics SL-QD22 turntable w/ Shure RXT6 cartridge.
Not really high end gear, but "pretty good" low-mid range stuff.
Sounds ok as digital, but the actual vinyl still sounds better (subjective opinion).  ;)

Edit; The R/Shack pre-amp is surprisingly decent.
I picked up 2 of them back in the day when they put them on sale due to the CD boom.
Have never even un-boxed the second one.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

alanp

Dad has a high quality Pioneer table from back in the day, and my brother loaned him some new needles. He compared my NEW records, and records from his stash (Dad keeps everything pristine as much as he can), and he reckons that the modern pressings sound better than the old ones.

("Well, yeah", I tell him, "back in the day they were only intended as mass media, these days the target audience tends to be audiophiles.")
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Yeah, the 90's were a great time for vinyl collecting.  I bought entire collections from people.  I got some amazing records that way (and some truly awful records).  I really need to pare down the collection, though.  I still have somewhere between 1200-1500 records.

I don't queue them up as often as I used to, but I do still have a nice turntable.  This isn't mine, but I have the same one (except my tonearm is silver instead of gold, thankfully)

As others have mentioned, cleaning is paramount with records.  A really good stylus can be very beneficial as well.  The cartridge I use has a line contact stylus, which is much narrower and finer so it hits lower in the groove wall than most other carts.  This can be especially helpful for used records as it often hits below the worn areas of the groove.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

flanagan0718

I currently have a USB turntable. It's pretty nice and certainly gets the job done. I can see myself growing out of it pretty quick tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flanagan0718

I currently have a USB turntable. It's pretty nice and certainly gets the job done. I can see myself growing out of it pretty quick tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on July 28, 2016, 08:36:32 PM
Yeah, the 90's were a great time for vinyl collecting.  I bought entire collections from people.  I got some amazing records that way (and some truly awful records).  I really need to pare down the collection, though.  I still have somewhere between 1200-1500 records.

I don't queue them up as often as I used to, but I do still have a nice turntable.  This isn't mine, but I have the same one (except my tonearm is silver instead of gold, thankfully)

As others have mentioned, cleaning is paramount with records.  A really good stylus can be very beneficial as well.  The cartridge I use has a line contact stylus, which is much narrower and finer so it hits lower in the groove wall than most other carts.  This can be especially helpful for used records as it often hits below the worn areas of the groove.

Wow, that's a nice machine!! How heavy is that weight, looks like a beast.

pickdropper

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 30, 2016, 06:18:32 PM

Wow, that's a nice machine!! How heavy is that weight, looks like a beast.

The platter is indeed really heavy (it's a mix of acrylic and lead).  The motor is completely detached from the plinth and is also quite heavy.

The real star of the show is the Graham tonearm.  I spend more than I should've many years ago, but I have no regrets.  You can adjust tracking force and VTA with micrometer adjustments, which is much easier and more precise.  VTA can be adjusted while playing music and then you can lock it down with a set screw when you are done.  It also has side weights for dialing in azimuth.  The adjustment isn't quite are precise, but it works.  But my absolute favorite feature is that the arm wand is connected to the base via a bendix connector.  This means the arm wand can be detached and the cartridge can be installed and aligned off of the table.  It comes with its own alignment jigs that can align to either Lofgren or Baerwald standards, so you don't need to resort to the standard alignment records or jigs.

Probably more info than anybody cared about, but setting up a turntable well really helps, no matter how much the table cost.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

tone seeker

I have a bunch of Rush albums, I  started collecting in the 90'S. That and my uncle
Gave me his record collection 15 years ago, but never played them.

I just purchased a signed Alan Parsons Project, remastered " Turn of a Friendly Card " album, at his concert, about a month ago. Most expensive album I've bought ($75), but I have no plans on playing it!

I'm curious who know's (let alone listens to!) Alan Parsons!
He played a awesome concert! Best sounding live show, I've ever heard!