News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Source (Radio Shack Canada) How Sad...

Started by galaxiex, August 01, 2016, 02:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galaxiex

I stopped by The Source yesterday...

...thought to pick up a cheap multi-meter to throw in the car...

The sales guys didn't even know what I was talking about.
Not a single hobbyist electronic part/component/tester of any kind to be found in the store.

I hadn't been there for awhile... last time there, they were clearing out the last of the electronic type parts.
Picked up some toggle switches and a spool of wire for cheap. Shoulda saw it coming...

Now it's all cell phones, tablets, cheap usb crap gadgets, etc.

So Sad...  :(

I know I can get anything I need online, it was just nice to be able to run down there for the odd bit.

Edit; I remember buying etchant and blank pcb's there, back in the day.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

neandrewthal

When I was first getting into electronics I got a bunch of source stuff (boxes of resistors, capcitors, knobs etc....) at a liquidation store for 75% off. Then I went online and found out about Futurlec and Small Bear and I realised I still got ripped off.

galaxiex

Ya, their prices are crazy, but it was still nice to have an electronics hobbyist store nearby.

I got my start in electronics there when I bought the Forrest Mims book, "Getting Started in Electronics"

davent

We still have a little mom & pop electronics store that pretty much has you covered in a pinch. They have heavy duty adhesive lined heatt shrink and these very small slider switches i'v never found elsewhere.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

somnif

My local radioshack still has its little rack of horrendously overpriced components tucked back in a corner, but I avoid them if I can (I hate the heavy handed "wanna buy a phone" act I get from the commissioned workers).

I do have an electronics supply store though. They mostly work with electricians and heavy duty stuff, but they had an MN3007 (NTE equiv) on the shelf when I needed one last week, so it is certainly better than nothing. (Prices aren't great, though, admittedly) 

alanp

Quote from: galaxiex on August 01, 2016, 02:33:18 PM

I don't really understand the logic behind this.

"Why don't we STOP selling items that make us relatively unique in terms of bricks and mortar shopping, and go head to head with Noel Leemings and Harvey Norman?"

(I understand a USAian would say Walmarts, instead.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

galaxiex

Quote from: alanp on August 01, 2016, 09:41:47 PM
Quote from: galaxiex on August 01, 2016, 02:33:18 PM

I don't really understand the logic behind this.

"Why don't we STOP selling items that make us relatively unique in terms of bricks and mortar shopping, and go head to head with Noel Leemings and Harvey Norman?"

(I understand a USAian would say Walmarts, instead.)

Yeah, I'm sure it's basic economics....

They looked at the shrinking market for hobby electronics and decided instead, to sell stuff that has mass market appeal.

It's all about the bottom line.
We have the "suits' to thank for that.
Damn bean counters.

tone seeker

I'm not sure what it is, but I think there wire is some of the best stuff! It's super flexible, at the soldering joints. When I started building pedals it was much cheaper to buy from guitar gcb. , or Tayda, but I have to be so careful boxing my board in the box. It never fails, for the wire to break right at the board! But the Radio shack wire, never a problem! I've not been in our local shack for a couple months, I'm gonna have to see what's left

EBRAddict

Quote from: alanp on August 01, 2016, 09:41:47 PM

The last time I was in a Radio Shack an older woman was in line before me to have her iPhone repaired. The girl at the desk told her it was just a scratched screen protector and walked over and helped her pick out a replacement for $20. The old woman said she couldn't do it and the girl told her the "technician" could replace it for $35. The old woman seemed happy enough. So they sold her a $2 screen protector for $55. That's a good markup.

harpplayer

That´s a sad reality everywhere :(

Here in Brazil those really old electronics/hobbyst stores are closing (so many cheap tropical fishes, styroflex, PIO, IC´s, metal can transistors one could find...). Lucky for me there is a good store at reasonable prices left in my city, but older/obsolete parts are really hard to find now.