News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small Clone Chorus (2016 Penneyroyal)

Started by Stomptown, August 04, 2016, 04:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

Here is my latest version of the EHX Small Clone.  This version is a bit narrower than the last which should make boxing it in a 1590b a bit easier.  I tried to adhere to better design practices and overall in happy with the outcome. The last layout was honestly a bit of a mess. ::) Not much different circuit-wise other than replacing the 1uF caps and polarity protection diode but it sounds really nice. Thanks for looking!

Bret608

Looks great John! Is that an optical bypass that goes with it? Wish you had had these new Clones when I ordered a Notorious BIG from you about a month ago...really sweet with those 1uf film caps.

matmosphere

You're killing it with the etches man. That's a tiny board for something with that many parts. 

One question, did you put Envirotex over the etch?

287m

WOW. amazing!
and look like mini real estate  :o
red pcb always beautifuLL

Stomptown

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 04, 2016, 12:49:59 PM
You're killing it with the etches man. That's a tiny board for something with that many parts. 

One question, did you put Envirotex over the etch?

Yep!  I've been adding envirotrx to all my recent etches. I also countersink the led Bezel so it is flush with the enclosure.  The envirotex really makes the etch stand out.

Quote from: Bret608 on August 04, 2016, 12:28:43 PM
Looks great John! Is that an optical bypass that goes with it? Wish you had had these new Clones when I ordered a Notorious BIG from you about a month ago...really sweet with those 1uf film caps.

Thanks! I actually got a bunch of these optical breakouts as a gift from Juansolo a while back. I'm pretty sure someone in the grind team designed them. They are really nice!

Timko

Envirotex FTW.  Projects like this are convincing me to start doing that on top of my etches.

Great looking inside and out!

Stomptown

Quote from: Timko on August 04, 2016, 04:30:33 PM
Envirotex FTW.  Projects like this are convincing me to start doing that on top of my etches.

Great looking inside and out!

It's totally worth it.  For painted etches it gives a really nice glossy look and for non painted etches it gives it WAY more contrast.  I've found that it is most effective/looks better on reverse type etches but I've only done one so far where very little of the enclosure was etched so my sample size is small.

m-Kresol

Slick build! I like the countersunk fresnel lense, cool idea.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Stomptown

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 04, 2016, 05:58:11 PM
Slick build! I like the countersunk fresnel lense, cool idea.

Thanks!  It took a bit of practice with a junk enclosure but I've been getting fairly consistent results lately.  Countersinking is pretty much a necessity if you want to use the fresnel lens with envirotex and achieve a flat surface.  Otherwise you would have to apply multiple coats. That being said, I did one build without countersinking the bezel and it looked pretty cool with a raised envirotex dome over the bezel.

hylandren

Man that is a really slick looking pedal! I have never envirotex'd any of my etches. I have to give that a try.
Are you using actual Envirotex or another product similar to it?

Quote from: Stomptown on August 04, 2016, 07:08:26 PM
... I did one build without countersinking the bezel and it looked pretty cool with a raised envirotex dome over the bezel.

Couldn't that create heat issues with the LED? Just wondering...

Stomptown

Quote from: hylandren on August 05, 2016, 01:05:30 PM

Man that is a really slick looking pedal! I have never envirotex'd any of my etches. I have to give that a try.
Are you using actual Envirotex or another product similar to it?

Quote from: Stomptown on August 04, 2016, 07:08:26 PM
... I did one build without countersinking the bezel and it looked pretty cool with a raised envirotex dome over the bezel.

Couldn't that create heat issues with the LED? Just wondering...

I've only used envirotex.  I've heard Ice resin is really nice but it costs twice as much.  I'm not quite following as far as what might cause heat issues with the LED.  The bezel is countersunk but the LED inside the bezel is not epoxied in place if that is what you were thinking.