News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Alpha 26mm rotaries - okay to trim shaft?

Started by Bret608, August 08, 2016, 06:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi all,

I'm in the final stages of populating a Pangea vibe. Question on the 26mm Alpha rotaries. Among the two I have for the project, one has a slightly longer shaft than the other. Is it alright to carefully trim those down with a hobby knife or something?

daleykd

Quote from: Bret608 on August 08, 2016, 06:33:29 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the final stages of populating a Pangea vibe. Question on the 26mm Alpha rotaries. Among the two I have for the project, one has a slightly longer shaft than the other. Is it alright to carefully trim those down with a hobby knife or something?
That's exactly what I did.

BrianS

I did the same on a Multiplex but one thing you don't want to do is take it off after its mounted, or be extremely careful.  I got the bright idea that I could do it after the fact and went to work on it with my oscillating belt sander. Needless to say I unknowingly sanded one of the other pot shafts in the process :o, i.e., crooked knob now.

Bret608

Thanks to you both! I kind of figured I should do this before soldering those rotaries to the board, which is good because I don't always approach things so reasonably. Anyway, I appreciate the confirmation.

Bret608

Hey, one more quick question while we're at it...do these rotaries have the same size drill hole as a pot? Had not even thought of that until now...

daleykd

Quote from: Bret608 on August 08, 2016, 10:47:44 AM
Hey, one more quick question while we're at it...do these rotaries have the same size drill hole as a pot? Had not even thought of that until now...
It's bigger.  I use a stepbit, so I don't know what diameter, but definitely bigger.

Govmnt_Lacky

Be VERY careful when you are trimming the rotary shafts on the Alphas.

To much vibration or excess movement can cause the internals to break. I have had this happen using a knife, a Dremel cutter, and even with large gauge side cutters. After the cut, the violent movement of the shaft caused the rotary to break internally.

Be careful  ;)

Bret608

Duly noted! I will test fit all pots and switches to whatever enclosure I end up with before I decide for sure whether to try this out. I think one of the two rotaries might not really be taller than the usual 16mm Alpha pot shaft.

daleykd

Quote from: Bret608 on August 08, 2016, 11:39:02 AM
Duly noted! I will test fit all pots and switches to whatever enclosure I end up with before I decide for sure whether to try this out. I think one of the two rotaries might not really be taller than the usual 16mm Alpha pot shaft.
They were for me.  :)  Taller, that is.

Addy Bart

It's not an ideal method but I've shaved them down successfully using a Stanley knife and taking away thin layers.

davent

To trim them down clamp the excess shaft in a vice to cut it down. If you're supporting the switch body and hacking away at the floating shaft much more likely to damage the switch internals.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

stringsthings

Quote from: davent on August 08, 2016, 05:44:00 PM
To trim them down clamp the excess shaft in a vice to cut it down. If you're supporting the switch body and hacking away at the floating shaft much more likely to damage the switch internals.

+1

I used this method to cut many Rat Shack pot shafts back in the pre-internet days.
All You Need Is Love

Bret608

Thanks again everyone! This is why I love this community.  :)