News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gristleizer (First Transmission)

Started by selfdestroyer, August 10, 2016, 02:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

It's been awhile since I built anything as the heat here in Fresno is killing me in the garage. I figured boxing up an effect that I had populated already would be a good way to get back up and going again. This is a Gristleizer on a MusicPCB board. I populated it about 4 months ago and unfortunately just never did anything with it. I really liked the effect but did not have a real "need" to get it boxed. I recently ran across a few YouTube videos on it and got excited about it once again...to the bench to box it up. I am so glad I boxed this up as much fun was had with my Juno-60 and this thing!

Since this circuit was made popular by the band Throbbing Gristle ( Genesis P-Orridge), but I decided to go with artwork from Psychic TV era. I did a reverse etch of the artwork pulled from Google Images and meshed them together in Photoshop. I'm a little bummed that I burned the paint a bit when wet sanding on the bottom left hand corner... oh well.

I used a Grind Customs FX Lumen optical switch for bypass and tried to keep it as clean as possible.

Cody

m-Kresol

very cool. I like the style of the pot indicators and labels.

btw. do you ever sleep? it has to be like 3am in California?!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 10, 2016, 03:15:08 AM
very cool. I like the style of the pot indicators and labels.

btw. do you ever sleep? it has to be like 3am in California?!

Haha thanks Felix. Actually, I had a super long day at work and I came home at 5:00pm and went right to bed. I popped up out of bed at 11:30pm and was like, "what do I do now?"

So I started building. Its actually cool out in the garage at 2:00am so it was perfect time to build some.

Cody

bcalla

Nice!  Great etch!  I built one of those a few years ago, it's a cool effect.

storyboardist

Very cool as always, buddy. Great work!

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 10, 2016, 03:15:08 AM
do you ever sleep? it has to be like 3am in California?!

I ask him that at least once a week.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Martan

Dminner

jimilee

Daaammmnnn that's really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Cody, looking great as usual!  Nice job!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

flanagan0718

yes! Yes! YES! This looks great. I was thinking the other day we haven't heard much from you. then BAM! Beautiful work as always!

-Mike-

Leevibe

Beautiful etch as usual, and the offboard work is super well done. I love this one.

selfdestroyer

Thanks so much everyone.. man it feels good to get something done. I have been so busy at work and when I do have time to build its been surrounded by fail after fail but things are clicking a bit better now :] I even have been going through my fail box and successfully troubleshooting some.

Cody

SlaveUnit

Great looking build Cody. Growing up in Modesto, I know the heat that you are going through. It sucks. My parents have informed me how hot it's been up there lately.

Stomptown

That etch is sick!  I love the graphics and all that offboard wiring is impressive. I usually turn the other way when it comes to PCBs with off board pots.  BTW, do you clear coat after wet sanding?  Your reverse etches always turn out so glossy!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: SlaveUnit on August 10, 2016, 08:28:06 PM
Great looking build Cody. Growing up in Modesto, I know the heat that you are going through. It sucks. My parents have informed me how hot it's been up there lately.

Sounds like you made it out of here.. good for you man. I am getting close to just ditching california all toget her. haha

Quote from: Stomptown on August 10, 2016, 11:04:28 PM
That etch is sick!  I love the graphics and all that offboard wiring is impressive. I usually turn the other way when it comes to PCBs with off board pots.  BTW, do you clear coat after wet sanding?  Your reverse etches always turn out so glossy!

Thanks man, I do clear coat them. I use exclusively MTM 94 paints. They have the largest flat colors that I find are the easiest to cover and sand with light coats and not burn through my etch with wet sanding. They also make a high gloss "varnish" that works great. The paint is used mainly for graffiti artists so they have a HUGE arsenol of tips to try out.. its pretty cool. THey also have a cool smoke varnish which is a transparent black varnish. I picked up a can this week to give it a go.
http://www.montanacolors.com/webapp/spray

I would love to try the envirotex like your doing now (It looks amazing) but I am so impatient I am afraid it would be an up hill battle.

Cody