News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Green Bean / Afterlife Problem (Perhaps a power issue?)

Started by mshuptar, August 10, 2016, 07:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mshuptar

Hey y'all,

I'm building a 2-in-1 and running a Green Bean into an Afterlife compressor. Before boxing, I tested each circuit individually on my testing rig and both properly worked. I did all the off-board wiring and tested again. This time, only the Green Bean side worked. The Afterlife, when bypassed, still allowed a signal to pass through, but when the footswitch for the Afterlife was engaged, there was a small pop, the LED flashed, and no sound passed through.

I've double checked my off-board wiring against the Madbean doc and I'm not sure where I made an error. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

cajone5

The LED burnout sounds like you may have forgotten to add a CLR.  I've done this in the past.  Causes overload and burnout of the LED.  Not sure on your signal issue though...

jimilee

Without pics of the wiring, we're all pretty much dead in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mshuptar

....and this is where it gets embarrassing.

Here's a pic of the wiring:

No, really. Here's what it looks like:

Yeah, I know it's a mess of spaghetti.

I set the boards & switches etc. into the enclosure and then did the off-board wiring. When it didn't work, I took out of the enclosure. (Really, it did look a little neater when it was all crammed in there  ;D)

If you need closeups, let me know. I'm probably missing something really obvious.

jimilee

Close up would be helpful

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

Truth be told, I have never built a 2-in-1 successfully with out 3PDT daughter boards... so more power to you man. I hope you get it situated.

What I would do is follow your input signal logically from the input to your output. If they worked independently then it has to be the daisy chained signal.

Cody

jimilee

It looks like you have your DC input jack wired to the ground pad on the board and then you have your LED wired to the board +9v pad. That won't work. Everything should be wired identically on both boards, only difference being lug 8 of the first effect goes to lug 4 and 9 of the second effect.

mshuptar

Thanks Cody!

I sat down and carefully inspected the chain and ended up locating three weak connections (1 at a jack, the other two on one of the footswitches). They were the kind of connections where if the wire was positioned in a certain way, everything worked perfectly. But if something was jostled, it wouldn't work. Anyhow, I made the repairs and both circuits work. Much appreciated!

Build report (and more embarrassing pics of my wiring) to come.

mshuptar

Quote from: jimilee on August 10, 2016, 03:20:20 PM
It looks like you have your DC input jack wired to the ground pad on the board and then you have your LED wired to the board +9v pad. That won't work. Everything should be wired identically on both boards, only difference being lug 8 of the first effect goes to lug 4 and 9 of the second effect.

Hey Jimi, I just followed Madbean's diagram on the last page of this document here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/MBP_FootswitchWiring.pdf

(Unless I made a critical error in wiring something. If so, please point it out!)

jimilee

If it works, don't worry about it, box it and rocks it!